Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W L frame hammer nose bushing

Dr. Phil

I have an S&W 586-2 that needs the hammer nose bushing replaced. I have read that it takes some special tools etc. Is there anybody here that is experienced at this and has the tools and is willing to do the job?

Please PM me.

Thanks in advance...

Two center punches work well. Put one punch in a vice, rest the installed bushing on the punch, Rap the other punch with a hammer, turn over and repeat. A 45 degree angle on the punch works better then a thin sharp center punch. Look at you punch and the bushing to make sure your getting a rivet action contact.

The bushing I need to replace is the frame mounted bushing that the hammer nose goes through. It faces up against the back of the case. Are you referring to the pin that holds the hammer nose in place? Might be different parts?

Two center punches work well. Put one punch in a vice, rest the installed bushing on the punch, Rap the other punch with a hammer, turn over and repeat. A 45 degree angle on the punch works better then a thin sharp center punch. Look at you punch and the bushing to make sure your getting a rivet action contact.

This is the process for staking a hammer nose rivet, not installation of a frame bushing.

The bushing I need to replace is the frame mounted bushing that the hammer nose goes through. It faces up against the back of the case. Are you referring to the pin that holds the hammer nose in place? Might be different parts?

I think you will need to send it back to Smith and Wesson for that. I have one that is starting to show signs of erosion, just watching it for now to see if it gets worse. I have read that some from the factory were not tempered right. It should be a covered warranty repair even if you are not the original owner.

Edited by toothguy