Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All ss 226/220 vs s&w 9ḿm/45 1911?

sn0wflake

So.

I'm thinking about buying a gun and I have basically narrowed it down to either an all stainless da/sa 220 or 226, german made, current production. Or a 9 or 45 1911 singlestack. Probably a smith or sti since they are easy to find here. sig is too btw.

So now I wonder whats going to be the most accurate out of the box with off the shelf ammo, and also whats least likely to break/need tuning/repairs/spare parts over the first 20k rounds?

Easiest/fastest one to shoot accurate at 25m bullseye?

I know, I know. why just not get all of them?? But I'm not really allowed to own as many guns as I want here. I can get a 45 though and a 9mm but i have tyo get the 9mm afterwards since the 45 is one class of guns (military) and the 9mm can go into large bore and military but the 45 only in military. And if i get a 9 first the cops will say i can use that for military class too.

I intend to shoot 25m bullseye with an inappropriate gun, a gun i can use for any ipsc divison. I want it to be easy to shoot fast and accurate at 25m and also good for any type of ipsc shooting.

when I have my first guns i can enter several more types of competitions and then be allowed to get more guns. Like maybe an open gun or similar. If I can show enough "activity" and therefore a "need" to own one.

Edited by sn0wflake

A very personal choice.... Can you get some pistols in your hands?

I carried a 226 on a government temp job. The grip didn't fit MY hands (which are not very large). I managed to shoot it pretty well anyway. Also, I don't like DA/SA.

So, from the pistols you mention, I'd take a 1911.

But... a Glock or CZ / Tanfoglio would be good choices too, with a little more modern design than 1911.

Had a P226 9mm from the Sig Custom Shop. Beautifully made pistol. I didn't shoot it well. The bore axis is high above the grip, so you get a lot of upward rotation when firing. It is not the quickest to get back on target for a double tap. I didn't like the control positions. My thumb kept hitting the slide release causing the slide not to lock back on an empty mag. It was not as accurate as my 1911s. Even with the new ergo grip, it was too fat.

A SA RO, Loaded or better is a more suitable pistol for bullseye, and for any action game, as long as 8 or 10 rounds is sufficient. I'd get the 45 first, because you can load for major, bullseye or minor.

Ok anyone else care to join in? From what i have heard the german "production line" sigs are all very much like other companies custom shop/semi custom ones (they dont make any "defense/war" oriented weapons in the 220 and 226 line there anymore, only competition it seems). they only make a few of them now and they all cost like twice as much as the american ones (which are not available in europe).

One sigsauer.de you can see the german made guns. All the 1911s are made in the us though.

My initial plan was to get a 45 1911 and then after that a sig 226 beavertail stainless in 9mm. but now I'm not so sure. maybe a 220 stainless german made and a 9mm 1911?? like a smith?

or maybe a heavy/long frame baer or sti range master in 45 that i simply chop down to meet ipsc classic specs. Is baer better than sti??

Please elaborate!

I also had my eye on an infinity 9mm single stack (new) or a 6 inch sig 210 super target. But those are like 3500€. Yeah i can buy one but then I'll only have that single gun though.

Edited by sn0wflake

1911 is going to be far better for bullseye, and will fit right in with IPSC classic, I think that is what they call their single stack division. Though you would probably want it in 9mm since they aren't limited to 8 round arrays. Take all of this with a grain of salt, I'm a USPSA shooter.

in my reading here, I think you will get more advice to get the 1911.

I am not sure about the reasons, in that, I do not think either is clearly more accurate.

the guys here tend to look are this through a competition filter...

so it may be that with only a little work the 1911 type can be MUCH better.

the other reason may be that at competitions there are a good number of 1911 types there

and so you will have help should you need it.

when I was talking with a friends about the subject of a race gun, he assumed a 1911 45.

I like Sigs and the competition tends to 1911 types.

Miranda

I agree with the 1911. You can easily customize it to work the best for you. Also, you can accurize the gun with parts and techniques easier than a SIG. I've had a p226 and a p220, both German made in the 1980's/1990's and sold them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, my custom Sig P226 was fitted from all German manufactured parts. It was one of the last two made that way. It was a year in the making at the Custom Shop, and they did everything you could think of to that pistol. It was a work of art. I also had them build a custom 1911 45 Tacops pistol at thesame time. That was built using all US manufactured parts right off the assembly line, except that everything was fitted.

From day one the 1911 would shoot 1-hole groups at 15 yards with ball ammo and my bullseye loads. It still does today after many thousand rounds. The custom P226 never did, with any of the factory ammo I tried.

The sigs are beautifully made guns...but they are very much love or hate. About 50% of people don't like the funny grip shape,controls and ergos and some do. They are not the most competetive gun for ipsc but they are not the worst either.

If you must buy a 45 first then but the 1911. Then perhaps consider a cz or tanfoglio for your 9mm.