Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

15 or 13lbs recoil spring

BrocDowns

Building up a top end to finally shoot major PF with a Lone wolf 35 slide. I read where some ran 13lbs (which is what I currently use in my 34 so it's a little "broke in") or should I go ahead and get a 15lbs spring. Would there be any downside to running a 13lbs with major PF loads?

15 felt better in my 35 and it gives a long life with major - on the other hand I run the same gun in speed steel with a 13 and have forgotten to change it back before shooting major and only noticed when I cleaned the gun.

13 is too light. I shot a 15 for a long time in a factory slide then in a lightened aftermarket slide. I don't shoot that gun as much these days but changed to a 17lb spring recently.

I tested everything from 11lb to 15lb in my 24. What I do is put two on paper as fast as I can at 7 yards and look at the group. If the second shot is low I go down in spring weight, if the second shot is high I go up in weight. For me the 13lb was best with my gun and load. Only problem was they didn't last too long, 700-1000 rounds, before struggling to return to battery and therefore causing feeding/ignition issues. I have settled on the Wolff 14lb spring and they run 100% for much longer. You really need to test different spring weights with your personal shooting skills/gun/load.

I tested everything from 11lb to 15lb in my 24. What I do is put two on paper as fast as I can at 7 yards and look at the group. If the second shot is low I go down in spring weight, if the second shot is high I go up in weight. For me the 13lb was best with my gun and load. Only problem was they didn't last too long, 700-1000 rounds, before struggling to return to battery and therefore causing feeding/ignition issues. I have settled on the Wolff 14lb spring and they run 100% for much longer. You really need to test different spring weights with your personal shooting skills/gun/load.

thats good info, apppreciate it fellas