Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can an eighth of on once really make a difference .

Joefischetti

Thru out the last past 8 weeks I ran about 350 rounds of 1 once 7.5 2 3/4 dram loads with no problem. Shooting a match this past weekend and the first two stages are great . The shotgun turns into a one shot gun. Lube it up and the following stage is still a single shot gun

A great squad mate gives me two boxes of 11/8 once rounds and the next stage is perfect ?

In an autoloader you just have to find out what works. Gas guns sometimes need a certain chamber pressure. Others vary.

I had an old 1100 that changed as it got older.

Find a couple light loads that cycle 100% and anything hotter will almost always work too.

You can go from running great to single shot just going from one box of ammo to another box out of a different lot when you are at the very threshold of required power. Especially in inertia guns. The reason I caution people against using Estate shells in inertia guns is simply because of the power variation. Some lots run 100%, others not at all. Chrono'd, there might be 30fps difference, but it is enough. Unfortunately shotguns aren't like an AR, where you can open up the gas or increase the load until it locks back on an empty mag. Your first indication that you are light in a shotgun is that it won't go :(

1/8oz vs 1oz is a 12% increase in weight, which is a direct equiv in recoil. 1350 fps vs 1200 is also a 12% difference, but since velocity is squared when calculating kinetic energy, the 12% difference FEELS like more, and has a noticeably greater effect on steel. If you are thinking about increasing your load, velocity is more helpful than adding shot, assuming you use the correct choke.