Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Comp

rolen1517

New to shooting in Open

Today shooting a local match I had my comp come apart with only about 1500 rounds on the gun.

Does anyone have any idea if could be may have been a bad Brazos Comp or some other issue ?

post-39078-0-76590500-1460934049_thumb.j

post-39078-0-76002500-1460934233_thumb.j

i had that same brand comp crack in the same spot. The manufacture replaced it quickly.

The comp had been reamed and I shot only MG JHP's. I still don't know why it happened.

I agree that it may have something to do with the amount/thinness of material left at that point after the comp was flat topped or it may be a combination of things happening, including the bullet kissing the comp at that point. Also check the back of the comp and the front of the slide to see if there is a shiny spot from the comp hitting when it cycles. That can happen if too little clearance is left and can also cause stress somewhere in the comp, but more likely in one of the back ports. I'm not saying that is it, just throwing out ideas on what may have caused the comp to break.

7.5 grains of Autocomp with a 124 Mg JHP at 1.165 is a fairly stout load that may create some stress in combination with the flat top comp leaving too little material. My 5 inch gun with that Brazos comp (not flat topped), no barrel holes, and a BarSto barrel chrono'ed at 1419 fps avg and a 175.9 pf with a load of 7.2 gr Autocomp, 124 gr MG JHP at 1.170 OAL. That was at a section match last summer. I've since backed off that load a bit since it had too much bite even for my taste.

Took the gun apart last night and perform the routine cleaning but didn't see where bullets had been hitting the comp.

Contacted the manufacture and they will replace it one time because the comp had been altered.

I'm pretty sure what Bob will say when you send the comp back to him. Tri-topped looks cool, but if too much is cut, not only will you see comps break, but get ready for a crack at the ejection port of the slide. How do I know this? Experience.

Bob backs his customers even though it was not Bob's work.. My comp cracked with only 150 rounds. The bottom was machined to deep. The top was also tri-topped and Bob warned me the comp could crack as your's did. No tri-topping after I had to replace the slide and comp. The slide had cracked at the ejection port.