Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI mag tuning quandry

I have some new 9/38 2011 tubes along with some TTI parts (spacer, spring, 9mm follower, 4G2). I also have the Dawson tuning kit. Last night while being bored I decided to mess with the parts and assemble a mag without any "tuning". I managed to stuff 23 rounds in as advertised but after stripping off a few rounds I noticed that the follower was no longer following. It was stuck at the bottom right below the internal ribs. IIRC, I want to say it on shifted over to the left side of the mag with a round jammed to the right of it.

Is this a common issue or do I have to ramp the bottom of the rib?

I read Freedom Gunworks' mag tuning guide and they also ramped and smoothed out the rib transition on the left side. The instructions were for a 40 cal mag though.

Any thoughts or tips on how to remedy the issue?

Load 22

lol that gave me a chuckle. I guess that would make perfect sense Sarge. Easy peasy..
9mm? I CAN squeeze 23 in my 140's but only some of them. 22 works and is reloadable so I had them drilled for witness holes at 22

What follower? Some are more prone to flipping than others. I use grams and they haven't ever flipped. But your guess was right. You have to work on the ribs at the bottom but for me that's too much potential for damage to worry about 1 round.

I use Dawson pads that are flat at the bottom. I tried a different base pad that had a deep pocket to fit an extra round. My grams follower flip and bullets went underneath. It was a pain to take it apart. I'm back to the dawson pad as 1 rnd is not worth reliability.

Other simple answer is yes, you have to "ramp" as you call it the bottom of the control ribs on both sides of the mag so the transition is smoother/less abrupt. No matter what guts you use if you don't do this you'll have the problem you first described.

Good luck