Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First USPSA Comp, 2nd Shot Always Low Help!

Msummerf

I have a Glock 34, stock except for a SS recoil spring and 13# recoil spring. First off I had a blast and can't wait to improve each time out. One thing I noticed is on each USPSA silhouette target my first shot would usually be in the A zone and then my second one was always low. Even on the targets that were very close. Is this due to my trigger controll, grip, recoil spring? Just not sure what I need to work on or correct to fix this. Thanks!

Use the sights for both shots.

Grip and trigger control play into it but it sounds like you are probably aiming once and pulling the trigger twice and dropping the 2nd shot.

What he said.

Don't try to just "time it" so that you aim and then pull the trigger a second time as the front of the gun comes back down. That's called a hammer - one sight picture and two trigger pulls.

You're looking for a "double tap". Aim both shots. Yes, that will add 1/8 - 1/4 second or so to your followup shot right now. But as you begin to see faster and your grip improves through repeated cycles, you'll be able to fire round #2 much more more quickly.

Don't break a shot at any point in a match unless your sights are aligned in the center of the target. Don't shoot fast and settle for getting the hits "as close as possible" at that speed. Instead, shoot accurately as quickly as you can. Try to see everything that happens. Once you can manage that, work on increasing speed without sacrificing accuracy later on down the road.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Thanks for the advice all, the very close ones I was double tapping, but I felt like I was getting a site picture on both my shots for the rest of the targets; but for some reason was always low on my second one. But who knows it was all a blur trying to remember to not break 180, reload, move here, nerves etc... looks like I just need to slow down on my next match and make sure I get my hits, then start to speed up.

Appreciate the advice!

it is possible that with the follow up shot, you're trying to drive the muzzle forward to handle the recoil and slapping the trigger. Just a thought. Try slowing it down and see where the second shot ends up and gradually speed back up. Speed doesn't mean much if you're shooting out of control.

Edited by brownnutz

As you improve you will learn to see your sights during recoil. I know it seems like you are seeing the sight on the 2nd shot but you probably aren't. If the shot went low, then the muzzle was pointed low, and if you saw the sight you would have known that shot was low. You will hear a lot of talk of calling shots, and that is the what they are talking about. Seeing the sight when the gun fires and knowing where that bullet went.

It is also possible that you see the sight, then yank the trigger and push the gun down dropping that shot. But, again you want to get to where you see the sight the moment the gun fires, if you do that you will see your sight dip and know you F-ed that shot up and then immediately fire a make up shot. That's the goal anyway, keep at it and you will get there.

Don't blink lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the same problem with my G34 and what I'm going to do about it swap out the sights for some Dawsons. The problem with the Glock stock sights is that the rear sight has white on the edges and across the middle, so your mind in a hurry quickly assumes it's seeing the front sight when it isn't, or that any relationship is close enough because you see all the elements you think you need. Better to have the rear all blacked out and narrow enough to where that the only way you even see your front sight at all is when it's correctly aligned and bright red or green to where it's impossible to mistake for anything else.