Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New .40 Brass

bret

A friend of mine is going to start using reloaded ammo for his limited .40, he wants to use nickel plated New Brass.

I heard some people use new brass for bigger matches.

Is there any advantage to using new brass?

To me it's a waste of money at $169/K.

The only advantage to using new brass is you know it hasn't been Glocked. I use a chamber checker for any round I will use in competition. If it doesn't drop in and out it goes in the practice pile.

I take all my 40 brass and run it though a Redding GR-X resizing die before loading the round. This gets rid of the case "glock" buldge. I then load and case gauge with an EGW gauge. However for major matches I will go another step, and pull the barrel out and to confirm they gauge properly in the particular gun ill be shooting. Some say its too much work but I've never had an issue during a major match, and I can't remember the last ammo issue at a local. Rejection rate from not going in the EGW gauge is about 5-7 per 500, then they just go in the practice pile. Better than buying new brass IMHO. Hope this helps!

New? I agree it's a waste. If I really needed brass I'd get on gunbroker and find some good "Processed" brass. There are guys on there selling brass that's been roll or full length resized for a lot less than new. ;)

Your friend likes to waste his money. Used brass, Udie and factory crimp die is all that is needed for good ammo. I do like nickel cases, they look real neat with a blue bullet loaded in them, but I would not pay for them.

When I first started loading 40 I grabbed 500 here (link) to add to startup inventory. The stuff was super clean; cheap ... and ... they do look nice with blue bullets in them.

Now though ... it seems like I always come home from a match with more 40 bass than I shot ... inventory growing by itself!!

http://www.acmebullet.com/range-Brass-Bullets-Buy-Online/range-brass/40SW-Nickel-Brass-Bullets