Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Back On The Mat

carinab

I went back to training in Aikido yesterday. The last time I stepped on the mat was right before I became pregnant. I felt a little odd about wearing my brown belt (I was nikyu when I left). My husband was joking that I should wear my old orange belt to start, move to a green the next week, and then promote myself back to brown. When I mentioned it to one of the senior black belts, he thought it was hilarious. He said I wouldn't get off that easy though - I'd be expected to wear my rank. In truth no one really cares about belts in our system and hero-worship is frowned upon. Seniors are treated with respect but they expect to be questioned if a lower belt doesn't understand something.

I was worried that I wouldn't remember anything but it all kicked in (well, everything except what order the releases happen). We did some adaptions from the releases into techniques and a short session of randori and I thought things were going okay. One of the senior belts I was "sparring" with asked how long it had been and when I said four years, he said that my technique felt like it had only been four months! Wow, was my hubby proud! If you can't tell, I'm pretty pleased too!

My daughter did really well at entertaining herself while mom and dad threw each other around so it looks like I'll be heading back every week. WooHoo!

Edited to add:

I forgot to mention that my daugter wanted to try it after watching all of us. With very little coaching she immediately picked up sumi-otoshi...well, revised for her size. She'd grab a wrist and run dragging an adult then whip around and run another direction a few steps and throw all her body weight down onto the mat while pushing. The direction change and weight drop was truly enough to throw an adult off balance. Course everyone was adding a little extra to either roll or air fall out of it. If she gets into it, a few years from now she'll be the school bully's worst nightmare. It'll be like grabbing onto the business end of a weed whacker!

I miss it too.

We were even less belt oriented; we'd wear white until black. Yes, I am / was still very much a white belt (San-kyu way back when).

The neat thing was at 6'1" the instructors liked to use me as Uke. So even at lower rank I got to work as the "crash test dummy" with the more proficient folks.

I kinda had a slight falling out with the dojo about the same time work got in the way, but I do miss it and wish I had continued on. It really was a great group and very good for me, relaxing and as close to dancing as a gringo can get.

I even have a cool scar over my eye from class for a "tough guy story" if need be. ;)

Once one is bitten by the Aikido virus, you can never "stop", there is only an occational hiatus :P

A couple of years just means that you've had time to let the ideas settle and mature in your subconcious and once you get mat fit again, everything will fall back into place.

To echo Dale: "Welcome back!"

Kevin

Carina, I know the feeling, and it sure is wonderful. From time to time I run into a couple of my brothers friends that wrestle at the same high school I used to wrestle at. When they start talkin smack it is always nice when we hit the ground and I still seem to remember some stuff.

Dirty, my first day of freshman wrestling practice I was told who would be my workout/freewrestle partner. It was none other than state qualifier Matt Devries, all 6'7" and 220lbs. of solid muscle. He ended up going 42-4 that year and I totally understand why.

What was funny is that some things had evolved in my absence. Hand placement for back and side falls for example. Someone during class teased me saying I was a walking time capsule. They had also forgotten that I sometimes giggle when I lose my balance - especially if it happens quickly. Most everyone smiled but it irritated one of the other brown belts. He thought it was disrespectful - I thought I was having fun. It just happens naturally because of the tickle I get in my stomach.

What was funny is that some things had evolved in my absence.  Hand placement for back and side falls for example.  Someone during class teased me saying I was a walking time capsule.  They had also forgotten that I sometimes giggle when I lose my balance - especially if it happens quickly.  Most everyone smiled but it irritated one of the other brown belts.  He thought it was disrespectful - I thought I was having fun.  It just happens naturally because of the tickle I get in my stomach.

Hand placement? If a breakfall the arm slapping the mat should be about 30 degrees from your body, Much less and it has no effect on slowing your fall. Much greater and you increase the risk of dislocating your shoulder. :( The other hand depends on who has it!

I teach class without a hakama on occasion just to make sure no one gets too religious about it. "He thought it was disrespectful" indeed. Disrespectful of what or whom? Some American martial artists try oh so hard to be more Japanese than the Japanese.

Mall ninja alert! Same mentality, different venue.... :ph34r:

Since this was a 'brown belt' I assume that means somewhere between sankyu and ikkyu. Please understand that unless he is yudansha with at least 10 years experience he is not entitled to an opinion, he may ask questions if he is prepared to be hit. And please remember O'Sensei said keiko should be joyful. ;)

Personally, I stopped practicing in dojo where you are not allowed to smile a few decades back.

Respect is inside ... Joyous exuberance is the essence of good practice.

Keep having fun :)

Kevin

I should have clarified about hand placement - where to slap hadn't changed - what to do after slapping did.

My spider sense tingled alerting me to the proximity of a mall ninja then I noticed his frown while I was falling and giggling. I'm sure I was interferring with his zanshin or something. :P I don't know him well but the sankyu doesn't worry me any because I have known the senior belts for 10+ years both on the mat and off. They like my laugh because it makes everyone else relax. It's not a loud chortle, just a subtle mirthful noise and rather short in length. If it were truly disrespectful, I think they would have said something to me by now.

Funny how all the different systems treat belts/hakamas. A hakama isn't expected until you reach shodan for us. Ah well, same taste - different smell!

BTW, I love the Stan Sakai avatar!

Carina, I know the feeling, and it sure is wonderful. From time to time I run into a couple of my brothers friends that wrestle at the same high school I used to wrestle at. When they start talkin smack it is always nice when we hit the ground and I still seem to remember some stuff.

Dirty, my first day of freshman wrestling practice I was told who would be my workout/freewrestle partner. It was none other than state qualifier Matt Devries, all 6'7" and 220lbs. of solid muscle. He ended up going 42-4 that year and I totally understand why.

PM Sent. My own Dave Schultz experience from the 80's.

If she gets into it, a few years from now she'll be the school bully's worst nightmare. It'll be like grabbing onto the business end of a weed whacker!

Mas Ayoob loves telling this story about his daughter Cat, who's been into the martial arts most of her life. When she was a kid, there was this boy in school who thought it was really funny to go around in gym glass giving the girls a wedgie. Y'know that undertaking of tiny minds where you grab the back of someone's underwear and pull up as hard as possible. Cat asked her Dad, "What if he tries to do that to me? What should I do?" Mas told her, "Well, remember all that stuff I taught you?" A few days later, sure enough, the cretin sidles up behind Cat and reaches for her panties. She spins, puts him in a wristlock. WHAM! His knees hit the floor, she makes him grovel for awhile, then throws his hand back at him and says, "If you touch me again, I'll kill you." At this point in the story, Mas laughs, licks his index finger, makes an imaganary mark in the air and says, "Score one for Papa Wolf!"

I think that you will find many martial artist on this board with varying styles. You will also find those of us who like firearms and blades. It's just a broadening of the skill set.

So you think 4 years was long. I went back this past summer for a few months after a 21 year lay off. Tae Kwon Do student and the school was sad. After about 6 weeks of classes I asked if I could get involved with sparring. The particular instructor made another of his many comments about committment (translation - he wanted a 3 year membership contract which was in the multi-thousand dollar range). He said that I could not spar until I paid. I said that Bruce Lee said learning a martial art without sparring is like trying to learn how to swim without water. I decided that the school wasn't for me. I just need to find a better school. I studied 8 years a LONG time ago.

People who do it for the love of the art itself usually make the best teachers. I don't have a problem with someone trying to make a living but blatant swindling isn't tolerable. I didn't start martial arts until I came to Texas. You're right about broadening of the skill set - I had the gun thing down decently but my CQB skills needed expanding. Man, the load of cr@p I had to listen to as I went to each studio...."New and improved, easy to learn, ancient secrets only our school knows." Sheesh! It took a while before I found a group who culture/mind set was acceptable.

I wish I had known something that Vluc posted in the zen threads quoting a Richard Cohen book reference,

“A seventeenth century teacher, Yagya Tajima no Kami, listed six temptations to which swordsmen are prey; 1) the conscious desire for victory, (2) the desire to resort to technical cunning, (3) the desire to display one’s skills, (4) the desire to overawe the enemy, (5) the desire to play a passive role, and (6) the desire to rid oneself of any of the above”.

I think you could evaluate almost any school by seeing if their sensai had given in to any of the temptations. The commercial translation might be 1) comparing their art to others and declaring theirs superior, 2) focusing only on technique and not mind set or spirit, 3) conceit, 4) arrogence. 5 and 6 I can't adequately ponder without additional coffee :P Althought money chasing needs to go some where....

I hope you find a good dojo home! Good luck!

"New and improved, easy to learn, ancient secrets only our school knows."

But, but, but..... I thought the ancient Chinese secret was Calgon?!?!?!?!????? :lol:

This is actually a timely thread for me - and for the same reasons you sought out a martial art. I can use the pistol (or other firearm) effectively (I could be better at the defense techniques, but...). I don't have any non-"lethal force" options in the toolkit. Interestingly, I have no martial arts training, but I did move to Texas 4 years ago.... :lol:

Dirtypool40, is there anyone you have not had a falling out with? Besides me that is?

Ahh, reading this post reminds me of the days when I would eat, drink and sleep martial arts. Mostly Karate, some Aikido, with a touch of swordsmanship (name has left me). Aikido is an art within it self.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe Kendo? Or Iaido? Kenjutsu?

Man, I wish I can do aikido. I found it too boring for me and doing Brazilian Jiujitsu. Aikido is more practical especially for women.

Brown belt is impressive! Go Carina!

arts.  Mostly Karate, some Aikido, with a touch of swordsmanship (name has left me).  Aikido is an art within it self.