Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Rules Updates?

Ben Stoeger

Hi guys. There was a lot of "drama" at the nearest club this weekend regarding the new rules. I am getting the impression that this is largely a dead issue among most clubs though. Is that the case? Have people pretty much dropped it in your area?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.... During the safty briefing before the match, the match director annouced that he would no longer be following IDPA rules. He then said as far as he was concerned the WI state championship was not going to happen. It was still a fun shoot, but it seemed that most people were caught a little off gaurd by the announcement. As far as I can tell, most of the people that showed up would still be fine with shooting IDPA rules. It was only the second time I had been to that club, so it is hard for me to say how it will turn out.

I don't think there's enough data yet.

This weekend was the 1st with the new rules, but my guess is that most local clubs will "let it slide" for a little while.

The real interesting time comes with the first sanctioned match (Tulsa, OK and Greenville, SC per the IDPA site). There are a couple of "judgement calls" that might cause a bit of drama.

First time a guy with the tiniest sliver of light in the belt tunnel beats a guy with a no-doubt legal holster, there will be drama.

BTW, the printed versions of the rule book are not out yet. We netziens know about it, but that large segment of the pop that doesn't spend anytime in this world may not know anything about the controversy. At my local club about 1/3 of the guys didn't even know there was a new rule book, and were shocked (just as we were) when the new holster rules were explained.

Give it about a month, then we'll know if there is going to be drama.

Well.... During the safty briefing before the match, the match director annouced that he would no longer be following IDPA rules. He then said as far as he was concerned the WI state championship was not going to happen. It was still a fun shoot, but it seemed that most people were caught a little off gaurd by the announcement. As far as I can tell, most of the people that showed up would still be fine with shooting IDPA rules. It was only the second time I had been to that club, so it is hard for me to say how it will turn out.

You were posting while I was.

As of this writing, there is no state match listed in WI on the IDPA page.

:ph34r:

Hi guys. There was a lot of "drama" at the nearest club this weekend regarding the new rules. I am getting the impression that this is largely a dead issue among most clubs though. Is that the case? Have people pretty much dropped it in your area?

I know one club that will run a regional match that will be a "Defensive Pistol" match.

The New England Regional Defensive Pistol Championship (AKA NERDPC) will not be a sanctioned match this year and will use the printed green book for any necessary rule interpretations. They stated there was no need to buy new holsters to shoot the match.

Regards,

not an issue here as far as I can tell - still waiting on the print copy in the mail from IDPA main.

M

According to the IDPA Web site to only "Official" rule book is the one posted on the web site. If you are waiting for a printed version, fire up your printer :D

Regards.

No thanks - for the $35 , they could at least send copies to the membership .

Not like they are hurting for $$ or anything.

There is only one IDPA club here in Iowa now. I attended a match on Saturday there. They are still running the old rule book and it is run on the "loose" side as it always has been. I asked what rules were being used and was told that they probably won't go by the new rules in their matches.

I was going to affiliate a club this year, but when the new rules came out, the check got cancelled. So now we are having "tactical handgun matches" just as we have for the last 2 years.

There was another sanctioned club in Iowa, but between the BOD of the club and the new rules, they stopped having matches all together. Oh well, we have a lot of USPSA matches around here, so there's still shooting available.

I shoot with two local clubs. Locally, from what I have seen, the nrb is somewhat a non issue. The only new rule that has been used is the "at least 1 shot in the 1 dn/ftn rule". Holsters have always been shoot what ya bring. Guy showed up one day in a full blown ipsc rig and was allowed to shoot for time. His time was posted on the bottom of the list with an illegal eq. note.

What I have observed is shooters no longer going to sanctioned matches but shooting local only for the trigger time. Too bad the metroplex doesn't have at least one weekly uspsa shoot. You can however shoot idpa 3-4 times a week.

Did you shoot LaCrosse this past weekend? Who said there isn't going to be a state match this year? Here is a link with the match dates set on July 30 and 31st: http://wisconsinidpa.com/calendar.htm

As far as the clubs that I have shot in Wisconsin lately, everyone was just plain ignoring the new rules. No one ever has done any equipment checks and given anyone any feedback. I wasn't able to shoot this past weekend. Was out scouting for my turkey hunting stand location. Will hunt this weekend and back to matches the following weekend.

Love to hear more info on what you found out.

Rick Ingle

Hi – new to the forum – this is Craig D, the IDPA MD at Hartland Sportsman’s Club.

First, the good news:

There will be a 2005 Wisconsin State Championship.

And now, the bad news:

The La Crosse MD has had it with IDPA HQ. And I, for one, cannot blame him one bit.

Nothing is more disheartening than to see someone give so much of themselves to support an idea like IDPA only to see IDPA HQ reciprocating by ignoring the very same people that do all the work in the trenches. They bring this on themselves.

Once again, there will be a 2005 Wisconsin State Championship. Unofficially, in my opinion, and keep in mind that you are reading this on an internet forum (your mileage may vary, offer void where prohibited by law, colors may fade if washed in hot water) the 2005 WI-IDPA Championship will be held in Ripon on the <see the updated info in the post below>. It will most likely follow the 2 day format (Saturday & Sunday) that was so successful in La Crosse last year.

Keep an eye open for an e-mail from the WI IDPA coordinator and your local club with details.

That’s all I got.

Ben, thanks for the insight. I see that things are up for discussion these days. No comments from the peanut gallery except to say that when things shake out I hope to shoot the state match. :huh:

Ben and other Wisconsin shooters one side comment - Jay's having a match at Omro on Saturday. New club in Wisconsin, if anyone is interested. Personally, I will be trying to chase a turkey around the woods. Wish that I could do both.

Rick

OK - it's been pointed out that the 2005 DPMS Tri-Gun Challenge will be held August 12-14, 2005 in Minnesota - so that pretty much scratches that date off.

So - now we're looking at the possibilty of keeping the original date (7/30-7/31) - the major heartache with that is that's the same weekend that EAA is ending.

UPDATE - we're keeping the same date and the same location. Check out wisconsinidpa.com for more info.

Craig,

You can keep it the same date, I would just love to shoot the Wisconsin IDPA match, instead of going to DPMS.

After all, I only won about $700 worth of stuff at DPMS last year, and I won a really cool knife at the IDPA state match.

Craig,

I apologize for the smart a$$ reply.

I really do enjoy shooting IDPA, and most of the Wisconsin IDPA shooters are really a great bunch of guys(and gals), but, the rule changes they keep making are very frustrating.

I don't know the details of what happened Sunday at LaCrosse, but, Steve has always treated me well and if he chooses to switch from IDPA to IPSC, that's fine with me. I would rather shoot IPSC anyway because they don't have the STUPID rule that prizes can't be awarded, and MAYBE he will return some of the shooter's money similar to what Ronnie is doing with his 3-gun matchs.

Of course, most of us don't have much of a chance of taking top shooters like you, Ronnie, and Lori, but, there is always a chance you might screw up a stage, or two to give us a chance to actually take you!

Nothing to apologize about - jeez - I ain’t sensitive! I’d probably be going to the DPMS 3-gun too if it tweren’t for the State of Minnesota’s strict statute of limitations.

Anybody can say anything they want about to me about IDPA in ‘sconsin and I’m 100% willing to listen.