Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida State Match Comments (2005)

Guest Gunslinger45

I was R.O.ing Smitty when his extractor broke and I have to say that anyone who can pull the immediate action required to go ahead and complete the stage as fast as he did deserves to win.

He still had 4 targets to go when it happened and had to drop and catch the mag, rack out the casing, re-insert the mag, rack the next round into the chamber aim, fire and repeat about 8 times. If it wasn't for being so damn tragic it was really cool to watch that speed. Oh yeah!! He got his finger "off" the trigger every time too. It's all in the consistency.

DP,

You missed a good one! This was your kind of match with lots of high speed shots from close range. The only exception was stage 1 that had an army of steel at 25 yards and couple of zebra targets at thirty five and forty.

I shot about 50-50 for the match, four good stages, two bad stages, and one where I really stunk up the place :ph34r::o . On stage 7 I had a good plan that required me to wait on a swinger after activating it, but after I engaged the popper there was no target immediately available so I transitioned and snapped shots at a static target and transitioned again and snapped two more at the swinger as it was disappearing from view. Dissaster! :( Does anybody know where the mind goes when the buzzer goes off?? Of course a target was not available, it had to swing into view!!! I don't practice enough at the art of patience. To much time is spent figuring out how to always go fast that when a pause is needed I'm not prepared!

Oh well, on to the next match. :)

Oh yeah,

I want to thank James Collier and all the staff for their efforts putting on a great match for the second time in two years. Well Done!

I'm hopeful that the Florida shooters can keep it going next year with another successful state match.

"your kind of match...up close hosing." :huh:

HEY!!! I resemble that!!! :angry:

You're just saying that because I didn't hit anything over arms length away when we shot CFRPC. My excuse ( and I have MANY ;) ) is a combination of "post TJ class" syndrome and the 5" low my gun was shooting.

I REALLY hope I have both sorted out.

That being said I do enjoy a good hoser stage. :lol:

Thanks again for the kind words.

Fortunately or unfortunately I broke an extractor two weeks ago at a club match, so I knew how to handle it. Haven't broken one in 20,000 rounds then break two in two weeks. Got to figure that one out I guess.

I knew I had a good match going and there was only one stage to go, so there really wasn't anything I could do about it. It would be interesting to have that happen on the first stage, and start the match 100 points down to see how I handle it.

Also, always have extra FITTED parts. Even if you just replaced the part two weeks ago.

A HUGE thank you to Henry Avant of SAW Custom. My usual buddies that take care of me at matches weren't there this year. I had an extractor but didn't really know what to do with it. So I went up to the vendor area and wandered around like a lost puppy. I bought a rifle from Henry at this match (info in another thread). So I tracked him down and asked him if he knew anything about 1911's. He was in the middle of talking to some customers about something and I asked him if he could fit an extractor for me. He casually said yeah, then paused for a sec and said "that ain't the gun your shootin' is it?" When I said yes, he dropped everything, found an extractor in his parts box because the one I had wasn't good enough, fit it for me on the tailgate of his truck and said go on, square up with me later. I had just met this guy the previous day.

Another comment on shooters, between the extractor breaking and my walk up to the vendor area I had no less than 10 people offer up their guns for me to finish the match. I'm not exagerating in the least, it may have been more. But I was steaming so bad I couldn't see straight.

There was a quote on here somewhere, "if life gives you lemons, make lemonade....... then try and find someone whose life gave them vodka"

Yeah that's right! :P just had to get the dig in :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

My best stage was the really long one... sorta similar to your fatal stage at CFRPC! ;)

That was my best classifier to date....1%.

But I'm telling you, if that target squatter, maybe as little as 6-8" he woulda coulda mighta hadda nice group right in the bollocks. As it was I hit him in the zipper three or four times. <_<

I musta missed a great show!!

I just checked scores again...

Good to see Danny Clifton's name again. I think he'd be a top Prod guy if he'd go to Nats. Old skule Glockster who never seemed to get much credit outside Florida.

Daniel Cook in Production? Is that Mike Ross the IDPA guy I know from CFRPC? If so welcome aboard.

Gambrell with an Open Gun.

John Bonham continues to climb, and Bronson Collins is more dangerous every day.

What's happened to Matt / Blackbird? I haven't heard form him in weeks.

Chris Cox shooting OPEN?!?!?! :huh: Isn't that one of the signs of the apocalypse??

Since I left after my last stage I didn't have a chance to verify the final scores until yesterday when they posted in the web. In all fairness to the shooters that may have been adversely affected by this, my finish in stage 7 was not as good as posted in the final results.

The time entered for my stage 7 run was 21.12... :o Although it looks nice to be second to The Champ at least in one stage, it is not correct. :( After verifying against my score sheets, my time for that stage was 27.12 seconds. That should put me down various places.

Feel better now!

Going to lunch...

Edited for after lunch thoughts:

Got a reply from the match statistician and she tells me that entering the new time for that stage moves me to 26th overall instead of 22nd, and that it didn't affect anybody that may have won a trophy. Good.

Fortune cookie message read: "Skill comes from diligence"

Maybe I should start paying more attention to these things...

Edited by Nemo

Why did "El Conquistador" not shoot his trademark revolver??

Mike,

I shot my 627 in L-10. Always wanted to try it in a match. I found out just how important 2 extra rounds can be when you have a lot of steel and a few 9 round arrays. It was a great match; hats off to James and Wadette. Everything ran smooth. Thanks to all the RO's for the hard work. Congrats to Grover on being Florida State Revolver Champion.

Seeya in Barry,

Cliff

Guest Gunslinger45
Daniel Cook in Production?

Learning how to watch my sights or in other words learning through resriction. 10 rnds max and minor scoring. I'm still shooting about 160 P.F. to keep the recoil and I'll go back to Limited in about 6 months and see what happens. Weights on the ankles E.

Chris shot James' gun and ammo just for the kicks. He hadn't been shooting in a long time so he didn't plan on any kind of showing.

Guest Gunslinger45
you changed usernames, I never woulda guess it was you.  Good to see you and Hardball are still shooting. Say howdy to Robin for me.  How're the boys?

Had to change user name because my Computers Motherboard crashed really bad and I lost all my cookies then Robi deleted the E-mail account that I had used for this forum and I couldn't retrieve my stuff. What a cluster it was. I'll I.M. or u2u the rest.

Wish I coulda made that match. On the results it's nice to see Dave Pruitt and Jeff Gambrell back at it in Open and also great to see Adam Bossier, a former Army team-mate of Max's and very tough competitor - shoots tournaments way above his classifications. Does he live in FLA now? Think he shot an Orlando match, yes?

So who is next? Joe Kessler? Or will we have an Eric Stafford sighting? I'd happily finish 6th-10th in a match with all those guys over getting a top-5 without them. The sport is better off with them in it.

I would like to thank James for all he did to make this possible...

James, you are the man!!!

Great match, very challenging, especially stage 1...

Beven Gram, thanks for making THE BEST DAMN mage EVER!!!!!!

See you florida guys at the sunshine games Sat....

Thaks

Dean Makkos