Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloads

LoadMakeReady

Smooth is fast, practice slow at first with good technique and speed will come. It all starts with precise muscle memory. Make sure your reloads are as precise as you can make them and over time the speed just happens.

The opposite of everything you say is true.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

So lets see. People go as fast as they can go and just are able to magically hit their reloads sounds great to me. Go with that wtturn.

it's not magic, it's work. i got faster pretty quickly by breaking it down into components and working on each component.

Honestly, the only part precision really plays a role is in lining up the mag with the gun. The part before that (retrieving the mag from belt and bringing it up) and the part after that (slamming the mag into the gun, rebuilding your grip and getting back on target) don't require alot precision and can be done very very quickly with not that much practice.

for me, when doing complete reloads, the difference between very precise, and fast enough to start falling apart is about .3 seconds (maybe .2), so I start for a minute or two at a pace where I can nail the reload almost every time. then i go a tenth faster for a minute or so. then another tenth. When i plateau, then i finish up by running 5-10 reps at a match pace, where I don't think about speed. That happens pretty fast compared to a year ago, but only because I'm practicing to go even faster.

In my opinion, if you don't specifically train to go faster, you will still probably see very gradual increases in speed over time, but if you want to go faster, it seems kinda dumb to not specifically train to go faster.

Edited by motosapiens

So lets see. People go as fast as they can go and just are able to magically hit their reloads sounds great to me. Go with that wtturn.

nope.

speed doesn't materialize out of thin air.

I'm with wtturn. Smooth is not fast...fast is fast. Speed will not just come on it's own over time.

If you are doing something 100% perfectly every time, you aren't really getting any better at it. Humans need to be challenged to improve. Period, full stop, end of story.

Are there any "hot tips" to get the gun and mag to the same spot ?

I'm finding the gun is in slightly different locations all the time, leading to clanks as the mag misses the hole. But I can't seem to figure out a way to consistently hold the gun "unsupported" out in space in the exact same place.

I'm finding the gun is in slightly different locations all the time, leading to clanks as the mag misses the hole. But I can't seem to figure out a way to consistently hold the gun "unsupported" out in space in the exact same place.

A SIRT comes in really handy for this. I'll start a reload and pause when the mag enters the well (Burkett reload), and then pull the trigger a bit and see where the take up laser hits on my wall/ceiling.

That's more of a check, though. I try to rely more on body feel and looking at the gun.

Edited by FTDMFR

practice, and looking at the magwell.

Also, Ben Steoger suggested in a class that I grab a mag and throw it up in front of me and then position the gun around the mag (instead of the other way around). That helped me figure out a better angle to hold the gun and made my reloads way more consistent.

Also, Ben Steoger suggested in a class that I grab a mag and throw it up in front of me and then position the gun around the mag (instead of the other way around). That helped me figure out a better angle to hold the gun and made my reloads way more consistent.

This made a large difference for me about 10 years ago. Highly recommend.