Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Ambi Controls For Uspsa?

Eager

Could someone describe the scenario where ambidextrous controls are an advantage (over guns without) in USPSA. I have shot my first match (with my XD-9 5"), but didn't see where the ambi controls that seem to be popular on competition guns would come into play.

I've wanted a CZ-75 for quite a few years to add to my collection, and I hear they work well in Production (in which I prefer to compete for now) but now I'm wondering about the CZ-85 model which has the ambi controls.

I've always disliked the feel of ambi controls to the extent that I've had them removed from a carry gun. I'm right handed.

When you are faced with a chunk of weakhand only drills you will begin to see. Not a mandate to have an ambi safety setup, but definitely a convenience. Mag release can be punched with forefinger so it's not a real issue.

In Production division, you will stay with what the gun comes with and I don't see it being an issue for the folks at the top without ambi safety setups.

--

Regards,

There's less need for them nowdays unless you're a lefty. In the old days they did all sorts of fun things like weak-hand-only reloads, slide racking and jam-clearing.

On a 1911 an ambi-safety makes sense for WH draws and to keep the offside from being nudged up during WH shooting.

I picked up an 85 recently, myself.

Reason 1: My parents are both left handed, and I shoot with them on occasion, makes the gun easier for them to use.

Reason 2: I had read that they are slightly better put together than the 75s. NO clue if this is true or not.

That was really my only reason, though, I have found, I can hit the slide release with my right trigger finger than I can reach it with my thumb on the other side. It also has the added bonus of keeping my finger away from the trigger during those reloads.

What Shred said. Don't need it if you're right-handed.

If you shoot matches a lot, there's a tiny chance that your weak-hand knuckle will bump on the strong-side safety while shooting WHO. You can drill at home with dry-fire how to click it back off with the index finger of your strong hand. Just don't fire a shot with both hands or it's a procedural.

If you have an ambi-safety and shoot matches a lot, there's a good chance that the safety is going to break and give you a DNF for the stage. I've seen it happen many times, usually in a freestyle field course. It knocked a friend of mine out of contention at the Bianchi Cup, too. These are right-handed people, some of them really lean on the lever with their strong-hand thumb.

A compromise would be to have a fitted ambi-safety in your bag and if a weak-hand stage comes along, you go to the safety area and install it. It's easy & quick.

If you have an ambi-safety and shoot matches a lot, there's a good chance that the safety is going to break and give you a DNF for the stage.

How does this apply just to ambis?? The stress point that the safety breaks on (typically) is the same for both... Perhaps it's seen more on ambis since we run so many more ambis than left side only safeties, but....

I find my WHO draw is smoother if I actuate the safety with my weak hand, so I like having an ambi. But, I can perform a smooth draw without it, it's just a little bit slower...