Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I took my SP-01 apart and now the trigger is clunky...

LeviSS

I took my SP-01 Tactical completely apart and polished most of the stuff that is mentioned in the Atlas thread.

When I put it back together the trigger was feeling really good...nice and smooth. Then after about 30 dry fires it started getting a catch right before the break, gradually getting worse until the trigger almost won't break, regardless of trigger pressure.

When I take the slide off, it goes away. I block the hammer from smacking the frame with my finger, and squeeze the trigger and it is fine in both DA and SA.

I took the slide apart and checked it out. Everything seems to be fine. When I put it back on, the same thing...good at first, gradually getting worse.

So I took the slide off again and it seems the fpb plunger has a catch in it when pushed up, almost to the top of its stroke. This seems like where it would be catching as the trigger cycles. I do have a reduced power plunger spring.

I didn't really polish much on the plunger, just the flat part and lightly in the hole...not much at all really.

I did put a slight burr on the firing pin because I didn't have everything lined up when I tried to drive the retaining pin. I used the 1000 grit sandpaper to buff it out though, and I can't see it being the problem.

I think the lifter is working properly, so I've narrowed it down to lifter or fpb plunger. What do you think? I'm frustrated.

I would check the trigger bar spring and the screw that holds it down.

That's the one part I didn't remove since I wasn't changing the mag release.

I looked at the spring at it appears to be fine, riding underneath the trigger bar.

Did you touch the hammer and did you reassemble the decocker properly?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

The only thing I did to the hammer was polish the sides where it rubs the frame.

As far as I can tell I reassembled the decocker correctly. Everything works fine with the slide off. The trigger is smooth, it decocks, etc. The problem is when the slide is put on it.

I think I figured it out.

It looked like the reduced power spring was somehow binding when it was getting close to compressed. I switched it out for the OEM spring and it works fine so far.

The CGW RP fpb spring was quite a bit tighter in the block than the OEM...not sure why.

If the reduced power return spring is hanging up you need to adjust the tension on trigger bar spring. Sounds like it is uneven or maybe not hooked in place correctly. Take the grips off and look to make sure it's in the groove on both sides. If it is you might try reducing the height of both sides somewhat and try the RPTRS again.

This is what mine looks like on both sides. It appears correct to me.

I don't understand why I didn't have trouble with the rp fpbs before.

With the slide and grips off look at the left side of the spring. You don't want it touching the trigger bar with the slide off, about 1-2mm from touching. Then very carefully pop the right side out of the groove into the magwell so that it is riding along the side of the trigger bar, the spring sould be raised up 2-3mm from the bottom of the trigger bar.

Carefully push it down back into the groove of the trigger bar and make sure both sides are riding in the grooves when a bit of downward pressure is put on the trigger bar. Also be sure to put some oil in those grooves, enough to prevent high friction but don't over due it.

This is one little trick that helps solve quiet a few issues.

Edited by Peplow530

Thanks guys.

I took the grips and slide off and checked it out. The springs were not riding in the grooves. I put it in on both sides, but kept having trouble with then popping out when I inserted a mag. After a little bending, I got them to stay in the grooves.

I tried the RP fpbs again and it still hangs up at the last little bit of travel, even with the slide off and pushing on the fpb plunger with a punch. I have no clue why. I put the OEM in again and it works just fine.