Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 Collectible?

Shootnjunky

A German made X5 L1 might be worth keeping nice, be there's still a lot of them out there. I don't see them appreciating a whole lot. I'd either shoot it or sell it and invest in something I could enjoy shooting. But then I'm not big into collecting guns that won't get used.

My understanding is the German made X5 L1 ceased production in 2015. They still make the All Around, Classic, and Supermatch models. X5 production is also being moved from Germany to Exeter NH which has people concerned about quality.

They are no longer allowed to import them into the US. so the german made ones stopped being brought in late 2014 so only what is already stateside is the pool.

There is talk of US Made versions coming out at some point, but it is unclear when or if they will be the same quality or product in the end

What are your thoughts on whether these are now collectible and need to be shot sparingly :)

I have 2 and am considering letting the pretty one go.

Let me here what you guys/gals have to say

If you want them to be collectible, you shouldnt really shoot them at all.

Might be some collectibility to the original P226 X-Five models. They no longer make these. The second generation X-Five version models dropped the P226 relationship to strictly the X-Five line.

What are your thoughts on whether these are now collectible and need to be shot sparingly :)

I have 2 and am considering letting the pretty one go.

Let me here what you guys/gals have to say

If you want them to be collectible, you shouldnt really shoot them at all.

Agreed. I have a NIB Black and White I was considering selling.

Might be some collectibility to the original P226 X-Five models. They no longer make these. The second generation X-Five version models dropped the P226 relationship to strictly the X-Five line.

I would gladly trade my 5 P226 X5s for the new style X-Line. The reason for the redesign was to strengthen the slide to prevent slide cracking yet still remain light weight.

I've been keeping my 220X6 unfired in the chance I get my FFL and can sell it for a good price. I did not get any bargain on it though and it is hard to imagine folks bidding it up a whole bunch. Sig squeezes you pretty good on their top guns already. I'm between jobs now and looking at thinning the herd to improve cash flow and ward off the risks of the next liberal gov.

I would gladly trade my 5 P226 X5s for the new style X-Line. The reason for the redesign was to strengthen the slide to prevent slide cracking yet still remain light weight.

But that doesn't mean they aren't collectible. Prices for the first generation X5's have increased significantly on Gunbroker. I've got two X5 Allrounds, one X5 Competition and one X5 L1 four years or so ago (i think?). And the price i got mine for when they first came out is significantly lower than current prices.

The X5 is a mass produced gun of no historical importance. IMO the "standard" versions of the X5 are not collectables. Some ultra-rare versions like the P220 X6 9mm or the P220 X6 45/9 combo kit, and some of the Mastershop guns I would consider to have marginal collectable status. Price increases merely due to lack of availability because of being superseded by an improved product is not the same as being a collectable to me.

The X-Line guns currently aren't being made either. Does that make them collectables as well? I view the X-Line guns as more desirable than the stretched P226 X5s. So to me the X-Line guns are more of a collectable.

I'm seeing the older X5's show up on gun broker sell fast, but sell for considerably lower than the newer enhanced ones. I've been watching them on gun broker. There are plenty of new old stock non-enhanced models listed for high, but they've been on there a while and none of them are moving.

The X5 is a mass produced gun of no historical importance. IMO the "standard" versions of the X5 are not collectables. Some ultra-rare versions like the P220 X6 9mm or the P220 X6 45/9 combo kit, and some of the Mastershop guns I would consider to have marginal collectable status. Price increases merely due to lack of availability because of being superseded by an improved product is not the same as being a collectable to me.

The X-Line guns currently aren't being made either. Does that make them collectables as well? I view the X-Line guns as more desirable than the stretched P226 X5s. So to me the X-Line guns are more of a collectable.

I don't need someone to tell me what is and isn't collectible. It's all in the eye of the beholder. I've been collecting various firearms for years and i can say with certainty there are very few guns that are considered "investment" value, where capital appreciation will occur over time. Now many people like to collect various types of firearms, but that doesn't mean they are investment value. Some people just like to collect certain types. Anyone that thinks they will generate a worthwhile return on their "collection" will be sadly disappointed. But, most people that collect aren't doing it for investment value, but for personal satisfaction. Edited by JGus

JGUS I apologize for making you mad. That was not my intent.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. I've been collecting various firearms for years and i can say with certainty there are very few guns that are considered "investment" value, where capital appreciation will occur over time. Now many people like to collect various types of firearms, but that doesn't mean they are investment value. Some people just like to collect certain types. Anyone that thinks they will generate a worthwhile return on their "collection" will be sadly disappointed. But, most people that collect aren't doing it for investment value, but for personal satisfaction.

This is actually the point I was trying (unsuccessfully) to make. I read the OP's question as are the X5s now collectible from an investment standpoint. And IMO the X5 in general isn't an investment type of collectible.

One of the items I tend to collect is SIG handguns. I currently have 23 of them. At one point 5 of the SIGs in my collection were P220s none of which were chambered in 45. I sold the two 38 Super P220s because I never shot them. I didn't consider them as investments and I didn't see the point of having a gun in the safe that I didn't shoot.

The only way I see Sigs as an investment is if you get a screaming good deal on one that you will always be able to sell for more than you bought it for. I once found a Nitron P220ST for about $200 below normal market value, so I bought it. I shot it twice in four years and, agreeing with staudacher, I sold it for a profit to help fund my X5 Allround. I shoot that one a lot. :)