Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rimfire input

Shootnjunky

dry...., it is true that you do not need a comp for Authentic Steel Challenge with a rimfire. However, when you have to triple tap small steel gongs like you do in some of our matches and leagues, it is indispensable. For example, in our 22 steel plate league you have 20 rounds (2 mags) to engage 18 targets set up at five different heights across a 16' span. I'm counting the triple tap gong as three targets. The comp is essential on the triple tap, and hugely helpful on the five targets that are so close together the transition time between them is almost instantaneous. All the fastest times are by shooters using comps. Fastest time is just over 7 seconds. No one shooting an uncompensated gun has broken into the single digits yet.

Edited by zzt

I use the John Allchin comps for a few reasons. One is they have 2 really big top ports only, which means they are easier to clean than small ports. Second I did a comp test back around 2011/2012 when there were fewer rimfire comps around. I rounded up 7 of them, some donated by the makers. There was not a lot of difference since we are talking about .22LR but the Allchin won. They are aluminum and as long as the anodizing is not removed or damaged you can use cleaning compounds to get the crud out. They use O-rings for indexing instead of steel washers so they are easy to remove and align and usually stay about where you set them. A lot of the crud in the comp is from the powder because it takes at least about a 16" barrel for all the powder to burn off. As for the difference between lead and copper wash bullets its up to you. There is little difference because lead seldom builds up in a rimfire (at least mine as I have not cleaned the bores with anything except a bore snake since at least 2012 and I have no lead build up and I use almost exclusively lead bullet ammo in practice). The ammo I used for the test was CCI Mini-Mags, Win SuperSpeed RN and CCI Velocitors all of which are copper washed (.22LR is not jacketed). I have not tried any other comps since around 2013 except the SJC which came in a package I got off the prize table at the 2013 Ruger Rimfire Worlds in Tulsa.

It's going to depend largely on the shooter and their skill and recoil control. Shooting ISSA matches we have a lot of 5 target stages where the fast times are under 2 seconds and some where they are under 1 second. Being an ISSA match director I have set those stages up and shot them with and without a comp. Some times there is something to be said for not having the added length and a weight of a comp.

For those of us that have shot open centerfire, controlling the very minor 22 recoil impulse is probably easier because we have already had to work on a proper grip and stance for recoil management.

just received the maddmacs comp and will be putting it on along with a new fast fire mount for my son. I got him the black dog holster and the factory rail is in the way so I got the mount that goes in the dovetail.

What are your guys thoughts on ammo for the ruger lite? my 41 loves CCI-SV but not sure what the consensus is on the lite.

Most of the people shooting Ruger pistols use ammo going between 1200fps and 1265fps. The reason is availability and cost. That being said, my buddies Ruger works fine with CCI-SV and so does all the Ruger piatols used for bullseye.

My recommendation to you is to use MiniMag 40gr solids to make the comp work. If you cannot find those, try the MM 36HP. You next recourse would be any copper flashed round that works in your gun. If you shoot lead bullets, you comp will clog up in no time. The faster the lead bullet, the more rapid the clogging.

If you want to use CCI-SV because you already have some, take the comp off and shoot.

Most of the people shooting Ruger pistols use ammo going between 1200fps and 1265fps. The reason is availability and cost. That being said, my buddies Ruger works fine with CCI-SV and so does all the Ruger piatols used for bullseye.

My recommendation to you is to use MiniMag 40gr solids to make the comp work. If you cannot find those, try the MM 36HP. You next recourse would be any copper flashed round that works in your gun. If you shoot lead bullets, you comp will clog up in no time. The faster the lead bullet, the more rapid the clogging.

If you want to use CCI-SV because you already have some, take the comp off and shoot.

Thank you, I will look at my stash and try a few different ones. but will focus on having the copper flashed for the compensator.

I can tell ya you reliability is a must.. Both my wife and daughter shoot steel challenge with me. Both of their guns need to run 100% of the time so i can enjoy shooting too. They are also using these rugers in rimfire 2 gun matches

Both shoot Ruger MK3 with the following

volquartsen internals... you can get the complete kit from midway..

extended mag releases

magwells from http://mddracing.net/index.html this was their favorite upgrade

90 degree mounts from for C-more 8 MOA

daughter uses iron sights

http://striplincustom.com/

mag pouches are a must... www.tandemcross.com

holsters are nice too

post-62198-0-49380500-1459086366_thumb.j

post-62198-0-22010700-1459086390_thumb.j

post-62198-0-07850500-1459086472_thumb.j

post-62198-0-87353700-1459086830_thumb.j

post-62198-0-85993400-1459087256.txt