Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA division statistics

jakemaul

Jake,

Would it be possible for you to get Carry Optics stats from PractiScore just for steel challenge matches?

Possibly... are there any best times posted for that yet? I haven't heard anything about the new Steel Challenge scoring system in a while, it was supposed to take effect on Jan 1... last I heard anything about it was before Carry Optics was really a thing.

Currently I pull all SCSA data straight from steelchallenge.com... unlike USPSA matches, pretty much *all* steel challenge data seems to end up there, so I've never bothered to try and fetch any of it from practiscore.

Possibly... are there any best times posted for that yet? I haven't heard anything about the new Steel Challenge scoring system in a while, it was supposed to take effect on Jan 1... last I heard anything about it was before Carry Optics was really a thing.

Currently I pull all SCSA data straight from steelchallenge.com... unlike USPSA matches, pretty much *all* steel challenge data seems to end up there, so I've never bothered to try and fetch any of it from practiscore.

No but that's something I've been asked to work on for USPSA HQ. There are some results for Carry Optics on steelchallenge.com if you look for division of "CO" you'll see them.

The Classification system is being worked on. From a review I did I've found we have people shooting stages faster than the current peak stage times so those will need some downward adjustment. At least that's my recommendation to Mike and Roger.

The reason I was asking about Carry Optics from PractiScore.com is I'm sure there are steel matches posted there that aren't posted on steelchallenge.com

, and now that CO offers a much cheaper alternative I can see those Open shooters moving to CO when they next buy a new gun.

The open shooters I know buy new open guns. Some try CO but generally prefer a full open setup.

I must admit 2.76% over two years is more than I expected for CO

I must admit 2.76% over two years is more than I expected for CO

CO has been provisional for just 8 months, not two years.
the OP said 2014-2016. So the numbers may be inflated

Cool read, thanks for taking the time. I believe as you see CO continue to climb you'll see production continue to drop. I think of all the division's the majority of the CO shooters will have come over from production. By the end of the year it wouldn't surprise me if CO leap frogs all except limited, production and maybe open.

Are these stats for just classifiers, or full matches? How many people are shooting CO classifiers just to get a classification in the new division? I know of several people that have done that. Might that lead to a big increase now and a slow down in numbers once the novelty has worn off? Or maybe it really will be the new hotness and continue to grow...

Just curious your thoughts. Guess we will see.

• 2 weeks later...

Jake - just wanted to pass along my thanks as well. A reader on the USPSA forum didn't like that he can't see classifications for his nephew because he shoots rimfire only. I pointed him to your site and now he's a happy camper.

Thanks for posting this data. Here is one take away.

From Feb 2016

51.5% of people are shooting one of 2 high cap divisions

48.5% of people are shooting one of 5 low cap divisions

Over the last 2 years

+8.5% increase in high cap division participation. Each of the high cap divisions have increased participation.

-8.5% decrease in low cap division participation. Each of the low cap divisions have reduced participation.

Data suggest that the high cap divisions are both more popular today and are growing while only have 2 divisions to choose from. While low cap participation is less popular and is shrinking across all of its prevision 4 divisions.

So why add another low capacity division in Carry Optics?

Edited by andersonj55126