Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hundo case gauge

CPD7119

I'm looking to get a hundo cage gauge from ben stoeger pro shop. I saw there are two models: one that is extra large and long and one that is regular sized. The one listed as extra long says its good for lead and moly coated bullets. I am planning on using moly coated bullets but I'm not loading them long. Anyone use the regular model and use moly coated bullets?

Thanks

I used a .40 long with hi tek coated bullets and had a lot screwing around pushing rounds down into the gauge. I think it was inconsistent coating thickness. I switched to the .40 XL and long and have no more issues.

I use the regular one with coated bullets. They won't drop down completely flush when you drop them in. They will sit up almost the thickness of the rim. They will go flush if you push on them. A bulged case will stick up a quarter inch. If you have any suspect cases you can cull them and drop them rim first to see if it is a bad rim or a fat bullet.

Do you guys feel it's that much faster case gauging a hundred at a time? Just curious if it's worth the money.

I had the same question when I was considering buying one, I've been using mine for about a year and a half now and wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have it. To me it's worth every penny.

I use my regular to cg acme hitec's at 1.135 with no issues.

I bought a 9mm and .40 at the same time,... Was hard to justify,......untill I used them for the first 100 rounds. Thats all it took to appriciate the investment!

It is also great way and time to check for high primers as well!!

Do you guys feel it's that much faster case gauging a hundred at a time? Just curious if it's worth the money.

Without a doubt. I was gauging individually with a Dillon gauge, throwing those that passed in a bin, then boxing them up. Now, I can place 100 in the gauge and box directly from there. Much more efficient. Saves a bunch of time.....as least for me.