Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ye Olde Open Gun questions

Gooldylocks

CALLING ALL OLD DUDES! I NEED YOUR ASSISTANCE!

I mean that in the most respectful way possible, of course. This question goes out to those that have been around USPSA/IPSC for awhile:

Who made the full profile compensators that had the funny front protrusion on them, near the bottom (below the bore)? It looks like it could be a forward blow port or something else equally goofy, but perhaps I am mistaken. One friend told me that he thinks the gas was redirected from the first port down underneath the second port and then it could re enter the 3rd port, to increase the gas volume at the 3rd port. That seems plausible, but I thought I would ask the wise members of this board to get the real answer.

I love the old IPSC open guns, I think it would be fun to see more of them around at matches. It is cool to see how the technology has changed, and what has stuck around after being proven to work. It would seem that the ramming spike of this compensator design proved to be unworthy of continuing in competition, but it definitely looks cool!

Thank you all very much in advance!

limcat still use that comp. I've shot a friends recent build limcat (about 3 years old) with that design comp in 38 super and whilst it's pretty loud it's a very pleasant gun to shoot. They are a bit longer and nose heavy than the average 5 inch 2011 (the comp is quite long) but it shoots very flat and easy to muscle around.

it's basically this comp is memory serves. and it has channels running the length of the comp to feed those small ports.

b9231b06ede1471878a8885faac7071d.jpg

DSC_3067.jpg

Edited by BeerBaron

I have no idea if the jet ports or turbo ports or whatever Johnny calls them these days really do work, but his comp certainly 'felt' effective on the 2 limcat open guns i've tried (both slightly different models).

I would have some concern about keeping those channels clean as they are quite small diameter channels running inside the comp.

top quality on his builds though. the styling is not always to my taste (bit too gucci for me) but they do work and they just feel great in the hand. :)

Anyway to clean the comp. not necessarily only turbo. Get a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and distilled vinegar. 50/50 mix. Soak the whole barrel overnight after wash it dish soap and water . Invest on a little small toaster oven. You can usually find it in wall mart and bake the whole barrel 350 deg for 45 min. Let it cool down and oil barrel and assemble. Shoot about 20 rnds. All the lead should fly out by itself

first port has a tunnel and pass the 2nd and 3rd ports and come out of the up side ports in the front

this is the turbo beastcat

12312038_10153836675605973_2039709551_n.

I shot a turbo comp back in 98-99. It was and still is my favorite comp. Johnny actually brought back the turbo comp design back and is currently producing them. The new version does not have the bottom protrusion you mentioned though. Kincaid Ross is currently shooting a turbo comp along with some other limcat shooters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have an open gun with the Arredondo comp pictured above, built using a five inch barrel with a concession cone, and it works very well. I didn't use barrel porting on the initial build, tested it, and left it that way because the comp performed very well. The comp has a tunnel (full width) in the first chamber (closest to muzzle) th

(Sorry, typo) that goes under the last two chambers, then blast out the two side ports at the muzzle. Arredondo had this comp around for a long time but no longer advertises it and I've seen only one out there at a Nationals. Everyone thinks it's a Limcat when they see my gun (admit, I've have some similar slide machining) due to this comp.