Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SW 929 extended firing pin

landry92

Does anyone know of an extended firing pin that will work in the 929? The 929 comes with a hollow firing pin which is different from standard SW firing pins. Has anyone tried an aftermarket extended pin they know works for sure? Thanks

Do you know for sure the apex works?

Just to be clear, the apex pin isn't a magical Device that will you allow you to just pop it in and run a 4 lb trigger. It's an additional aid when running a tuned gun.

Best of luck

If SW made the FP hollow to reduce mass then going to a solid pin will likely REDUCE strike energy as lightened FP's/strikers are used to improve strike with reduced power springs. If SW changed the pin on that model they may have actually had a reason (?)

Always wonder why people automatically replace stock parts which have not failed.

Edited by bountyhunter

If SW made the FP hollow to reduce mass then going to a solid pin will likely REDUCE strike energy as lightened FP's/strikers are used to improve strike with reduced power springs. If SW changed the pin on that model they may have actually had a reason (?)

Always wonder why people automatically replace stock parts which have not failed.

When I sent my newest 929 back to S&W to have the barrel replaced it went in with one of the hollow firing pins and came back with a solid one. Either they are changing their mind about the hollow pin or they put it back together with what ever was handy. The solid pin it came back with was a Ti pin that was .499" in length. :)

When I sent my newest 929 back to S&W to have the barrel replaced it went in with one of the hollow firing pins and came back with a solid one. Either they are changing their mind about the hollow pin or they put it back together with what ever was handy. The solid pin it came back with was a Ti pin that was .499" in length. :)

It would be interesting to hear if this was the case for others who've sent in their 929s for repair/replacement as well.

Interesting. I thought the standard pin was .495" in length. I have seen them in both steel and titanium, I used to sort them with a magnet. Maybe SW is joining the "extended" pin club.......

what's funny is the first time I bought a gun (SW66) many years back, with a frame mounted firing pin, the very first thing I did was measure how far it came through the breech plate when all the way forward and compare that to my other revos with the hammer mounted FP's. I used feeler gauges to eyeball it and to my eye, the .495 pin came forward exactly as far as the hammer mounted FP did..... which made sense to me.

I know some bad "shorty" pins got out later that were .492" or less and caused problems in some guns.

Edited by bountyhunter