Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 45cal. 5.25

DocMedic

We have one of these at the shop I worked at used. I convinced them to sell it to me for their cost plus +3% CC charges for about $475 for the Full kit (3Mags, etc)

My question is how "match" is the gun? With federal ammo I'm able to group inside the headbox of a IPSC target at 17 yards. I want to be able to at least tighten that up to A-box at 17yards. I was wondering if the barrel is good enough with the right loads? I know the trigger will need to be upgraded.

This will be used for He-man/Heavy metal 3gun matches.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the gun itself most likely plenty accurate enough for your purposes. Of course, proper load development (and more importantly, bullet selection) can tighten up groups.. Also like you mentioned, a better trigger can help achieve better accuracy, but that's generally more on the shooter's side than the gun itself.

Just my $.02, and again, I'm not insinuating anything about your shooting, just making a general statement about quality modern handguns.

No offense taken. The matches that I attend when I shoot he-man/heavy metal matches tend to push ABC targets to 40-50 yards. I was just wondering what type of accuracy that shooters are getting with this handgun.

I have the 5.25XDm in 40, also a 3.8xdm 45. you already found the one thing you HAVE to do, that is the trigger. I hated my 40, couldn't shoot it well, trigger was crap (the 3.8 is for carry I never had an issue with it's trigger) and I was going to sell it. I put in a trigger kit, it's now a hair under 3lbs, way better take up and break. Now I like the gun. It shoots better than I do. I think youll be good to go. I can't speak to groups at that distance, I'm not that good a shot (distance is my current biggest issue). Last time I took the 40 out (october, I shoot SS usually this is my "next" gun for limited) I was shooting the playing card target (has a whole deck of cards layed out). at 25 yards I was hitting the cards every time.

Red

That gun should be plenty accurate. You will probably need to develop a good load to take advantage of it.

I will second the trigger is the most important thing to have. All of my XD's have Springer (including an old XD9 that Scott did years ago before parts were available). I have tried a buddy's PRP, and it was darn good too.