Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice for Repairing a Cabinet (Woodworking, Carpentry)

Everybody I've met here knows more than me... and 15 years ago we foolishly picked a newb custom cabinet maker who gave some less expensive but poorly designed kitchen cabinets. Now the spice rack are separating from the cabinet doors. The inset Cherry panels are only 1/4 or 3/8" thick, not much purchase, the framing and center pieces are 7/8". Investigating the widening gap between rack and cabinet shows he only tacked the spice racks on about 1/4" deep with wood screws so once they are loaded it's over-stressed.

Any advice how to tighten things up?

Thanks

post-55356-0-18263700-1456190332_thumb.j

post-55356-0-03266200-1456190352_thumb.j

Get wood clamps or some other type of clamps or use the screws to hold it together.... Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a medium sized bottle of Tite Bond III wood glue. Clean the area, apply a small amount of the glue to both surfaces to be joined, clean up excess immediately after clamping, leave clamped for about 6 hours, don't use for 24. The wood will probably break before the glue bond does.

I have made hickory cutting boards using this glue, and had the hickory split before the glue bond broke.

• 3 weeks later...

Get wood clamps or some other type of clamps or use the screws to hold it together.... Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a medium sized bottle of Tite Bond III wood glue. Clean the area, apply a small amount of the glue to both surfaces to be joined, clean up excess immediately after clamping, leave clamped for about 6 hours, don't use for 24. The wood will probably break before the glue bond does.

I have made hickory cutting boards using this glue, and had the hickory split before the glue bond broke.

+1

Building guitars for a hobby, I have learned that even cheap wood glue can hold better than nails and screws sometimes.

Unscrew the spice racks, put a thin coat of Titebond on BOTH contact surfaces. (rack and door) Screw the rack back into place while the glue is still wet and immediately clean up any squeeze out with a wet rag. Give the glue a day to fully set and I'd almost bet you would break the door before you could pull the rack off.

Personally,I would add some dowels or biscuits if you know someone who can lend you cutter. If not, at least some hardwood dowels, then as stated, glue. The dowels will add shear strength and can be put in blind so they're not seen after gluing. Just take care drilling the holes so that you don't break through the front of the door.