Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 1/2 In Model 25

Gary Stevens

Lew Horton has made a bunch of limited run Smith and Wesson revolvers. I have several in 2 1/2 and 3 inch versions. I got to wondering if they every made a 25-2 45 ACP with a 2 1/2 or 3 inch barrel. I can't remember one, but at my age that doesn't mean much :)

So how about it, did anyone make these?

Gary,

I don't know about about a 25 from Horton, or from RSR, but the Performance Center made a 625 3" full lug in 1998. Production was 150 units each in .45 ACP and .45 Colt. They had fluted cylinder and rosewood grips. Retail was $775.

The short 625s are 3" guns, not 2-1/2" (remember, you measure from the rear of the barrel, not the spot where it begins protruding from the frame).

The Horton 25-3s were chambered for .45 Colt.

The closest thing to a true snubby on a 25-2 was the 2-3/4" Effector model, produced on a limited basis by the John Jovino Co. in NYC. (They bought regular 25-2s from S&W, then cut them, rounded the grip-frame, did the actions, etc.) Very cool guns. I want one fairly badly, but not for the $799 that was the asking price on the last one I saw for sale....

Other gunsmiths (like Austin Behlert) did one-off N-frame snubbies on a custom basis.

Mike

John Jovino also marketed an oddball semi-custom snubby big-bore which was built on the Astra .44 Magnum. Pretty cool looking gun, but it was a friggin' Astra, you know? I think it was called the "Eliminator" or something like that... I remember articles about these guns running in early editions of "Combat Handguns" and Phil Engeldrum's old "Pistolero" magazine.

That old Lew Horton shorty N-frame stuff is pretty collectible these days, too--we all should've bought two of each back when it was readily available.

I built myself one of those back in the old days. I had the parts, which is the "gunsmiths disease" ('Say, I've got enough parts here to build....') so I did it. Definitely not fun to shoot, so it ended up spending tis time as a "shop gun" next to the phone, in case of "Incurable Stupidity" on the part of some miscreant.

Building it wasn't too hard. One thing to watch out for, if you plan somehting like this, is the serial number location on the butt of the gun. It is against the law to deface or remove the serial number, and it would be a shame to get in trouble whilst making the blaster of your dreams.

Yep....I have a blue Horton, 2.5" Mod 29, a stainless 3" Mod 629, a stainless 2.5" Mod 657 with Magnaport, and a 3.0 " mod 624.......all very cool and fun to shoot except the 657...hurts my ears with the porting.... :lol: