Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 primer bar

The primer bar is sliding approximately 1/8" too far on the down stroke. The alignment pin on the tool head is correcting to over travel but it makes the down stroke "ruff". The primers are jumping out because of the jarring action. Can this over travel be adjusted?

I had the same issue last week on one of my 1050's. I took the primer bar out and cleaned the track in the frame, that it slides in. I also took some Mother's mag polish and polished the bottom and sides of the primer bar......made a huge difference.

I cleaned the press. It isn't too bad now. It is still over traveling but it doesn't seem to bother the primers now. The down stroke feels and sounds "gritty" when the alignment pins engage. Is that normal?

I took a couple of pics and made a quick video of the primer bar on my Super 1050, driven by a Mark 7 autodrive running as slow as possible (900/hour, Index Speed 9, Bottom Dwell 9).

The first pic is shot through the hole in the tool head and attempts to show alignment of the primer ram inside the primer bar hole.

post-47915-0-26641600-1455674003_thumb.j

Video of operation. FYI I'm using a bit or yellowish fuel line from a weed eater as a more durable replacement for the rubber sleeve that came with the primer bar.

Crank up the audio - I hear normal auto drive/press noises, nothing 'gritty' like you describe. I don't think, anyhow.

Sorry for the vertical video, I know it is an abomination. ;)

Edited by Beastly