Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

20 moa base

lucky #7

I'm upgrading to a 6-24x50mm Viper PST with the Horus style EBR-2C MRAD reticle. I have an AR15 pattern rifle with a 24" barrel set up for precision shooting, varmint hunting, etc., and I would like to install a 20moa base. I'm considering the EGW 20moa AR15 base with Seekins/Vortex rings.

What is your opinion of this set up vs. a one piece mount with built in 20moa? The PST is a big scope, and the one piece mounts don't seem offer much benefit, but the rail with rings appear to be a more rigid option. What is your experience?

I've been happy with the Aadland mount for this application. Very heavy duty, enough eye relief, built in bubble level and most importantly to me, fewer screws/bolts/parts than the setup you describe, thus in my opinion fewer failure points.

Warne Scope Mounts has a new 20 MOA one-piece mount. $136.99 at Midway. I have my Viper PST 6-24x50 in it as well.

http://warnescopemounts.com/product/lrskel30tg-20moa-extended-skeletonized-30mm-msr-mount-black/

and a blog post about it here: http://warnescopemounts.com/new-20-moa-msr-mount/

Edited by GregSmith

I don't think the shim stock will work with an AR...

Worked just fine on mine.

Interesting. I've seen that technique used with two piece mounts on hunting rifles using Burris rings. I'll just go with a 20moa rail or mount though.

Interesting. I've seen that technique used with two piece mounts on hunting rifles using Burris rings. I'll just go with a 20moa rail or mount though.

I do not recommend it with two piece mounts because it changes the alignment of the holes for the scope and WILL cause a ring mark on the scope tube. Shimming the base the rings mount to doesn't effect that.

Edited by Tom S.

I do not recommend it with two piece mounts because it changes the alignment of the holes for the scope and WILL cause a ring mark on the scope tube. Shimming the base the rings mount to doesn't effect that.

yeah, that's why people use those Burris rings with the plastic inserts when they do that. The inserts can be adjusted to match the angle. Anyway, I agree that its not a best practice.

How far are you planning on shooting this rig? With the Viper seems like you wouldn't necessarily need the 20 MOA mount unless you're really pushing 500/600 yards, but I understand if you just want to so you don't have any regrets. Love all my EGW mounts, have about 8 and they are a great company. Recommend the upgraded/hardened screws though as I've stripped a couple of the cheaper allen heads even with a torque wrench.