Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Use Ranch Product's Moon Clips?

imashooter2

Opinions? What is best brass for S&W .38 7 shot 686 and 8 shot 627 clips? Sent email to the contact link and received a product brochure, but no answer to the best brass questions. Gotta say the guy doesn't seem hungry for sales...

http://ranchproducts.com/

Best brass for 7 shot or any full moon revolver is Federal or Remington Peters. Best moon clips are Hearthco bar none.

The ranch product moons are sloppy and your cases will fall right out of them when you are trying to reload.

Hearthco is tight, you need a pliers to put the last round in most times but they are thicker and will last forever ( unless someone steps on them ).

I have dealt with Steve on several occasions and find his service and product top notch. As far as the "Loose rounds" statement, I have never used his 8 round clips only those for the 625 and 610. Out of about four hundred clips I have purchased, used, and resold to others, I have only had one moon clip that would not hold rounds.

Try calling Ranch Products on the phone. They will be glad to talk to you.

Regards,

You'll want to use Fed. or Rem. brass for the 8-shot moons for the 627. W-W brass fits too tight, which is even worse than fitting too loose. If you have to use pliers to get the rounds in place, you will have problems trying to extract and reload when you're shooting--I found this out the hard way at a steel match last summer....

You'll want to use Fed. or Rem. brass for the 8-shot moons for the 627.  W-W brass fits too tight, which is even worse than fitting too loose.  If you have to use pliers to get the rounds in place, you will have problems trying to extract and reload when you're shooting--I found this out the hard way at a steel match last summer....

You asked about for the .38s. If I ever go back to using a 625 or 25 then I would use Ranch Products.

Everyone has their own technique for loading and some may find that the loose moons are to their advantage. I like them tight.

I tend to prefer Hearthco 627 moonclips for competition. The Hearthco clips do command a premium, but as the saying goes- you get what you pay for. Dave EDM cuts his moonclips so each is as identical as you can get. He has control over the geometry so that when using R-P brass, there is substantially less wobble and the alignment with the charge holes is dead on. I trust his moonclips enough to buy a stack of twenty and run them at a major match like the IRC.

Sorry Dave, yet another shameless plug for your products! :D

Randy

We'll shame Dave to death for his excellent moonclips. Its all his fault.

But seriously, I wouldn't use anything else but HEARTHCO for competition.

Been-there, done-that !!!!

I'll pay the $$$$. Thanks again Dave.

Dan

Everyone has their own technique for loading and some may find that the loose moons are to their advantage.  I like them tight.

I agree you don't want them too wobbly, but if the brass fits too tightly in the moonclips, the moons will tend to get really sticky, going in and going out of the cylinder, as the gun gets dirty during the match. It's not a "technique" thing.....

Trust me, it's no fun putting a hole through the skin of your thumb (or palm) trying to extract one of those sticky bastards. Fed. and R-P brass in the 8-shot clips, problem solved. (Seen this in several guns now....)

I've used their clips in both my 627's and for my 625's. The 625's worked out fine but the 627's were flimsy and cheap. I got them because of the price but found out after some speed loads and other things that they would bend a little and that didn't work out to well in my guns. I've used the ones out of brownells-they are really nice. The very best are hearthco if you can afford them.

Good Luck.

Bob