Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Enterprise Build

Hanchey

Recently built an entire JP rifle for 3 gun matches. Let's just say its a just because build. I thought it would be light weight but if I had to guess its pushing 8+lbs. I have ideas of making it lighter but would like some feedback. Plus where is the best place to offload the heavier (expensive JP parts)??post-62506-145404245107_thumb.jpgpost-62506-145404246597_thumb.jpg

Optics are Leupold MK6 on a Larue Spr mount, and will change out mount.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Nice looking rifle. My first thoughts on putting it on a diet would be to remove the thermal dissipator and the rail on the HG. Should liven up the front end that way too. Maybe lose the ejection port door and forward assist for a tiny bit of weight loss. Taccom buffer for lower reciprocating and overall weight.

Edited by TonytheTiger

Parts: Luth AR stock, JP forged upper and lower, JP ambi saftey, Troy bad lever, ambi mag release, charging handle. JP LMOS carrier, 18" light contour barrel, heat sync, adjustable gas block, JP break and a very heavy 17.25 Rapid Configuration Handguard.

Nice looking rifle. My first thoughts on putting it on a diet would be to remove the thermal dissipator and the rail on the HG. Should liven up the front end that way too. Maybe lose the ejection port door and forward assist for a tiny bit of weight loss. Taccom buffer for lower reciprocating and overall weight.

Thank you. Would love to keep my JP rail and agree on the $85 top rail option. I was thinking of a KMR as well??

Getting a handguard in a shorter length would cut weight for you, but I don't think ditching the TD is worth it. It's aluminum and not out at the front of the gun like the handguard, so I don't think you'll notice the difference as much. Plus it looks awesome and sometimes you have to make sacrifices to be cool.

Edited by CarRacer

• 2 weeks later...

Recently built an entire JP rifle for 3 gun matches. Let's just say its a just because build. I thought it would be light weight but if I had to guess its pushing 8+lbs. I have ideas of making it lighter but would like some feedback. Plus where is the best place to offload the heavier (expensive JP parts)??attachicon.gif20160117_171447.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20160123_204326.jpg

Optics are Leupold MK6 on a Larue Spr mount, and will change out mount.

I had a very similar JP rifle built and I am also sorta disappointed in the weight, especially once I put a scope on it, even though its a fairly light scope setup. I have the Kahles K16i and a Bobro mount. I think the first difference I notice is that I am not using a 12 oclock rail. I also have the captured buffer/spring. I just have a CTR stock on mine, so I know you will see a big weight savings switching to a lighter stock. I thought about switching the hand guard, but I don't know what will fit over the thermal dissipator/heat sink or how much weight it would save? I wouldn't want to remove the heat sink. I really wish I had gotten a 16" instead of 18 in retrospect.

Looks like the Lancer hand guard would fit. The OD of the thermal dissipator is 1.375, so KMR or NSR are out. I found that the weight of the JP RC rail in 15.5" is 14.5oz and the Lancer carbon version is 9.9oz. Sure is a lot of effort and money to drop 5 oz. I don't think I feel comfortable taking apart my JP, or letting a local smith do it either! No big deal for my other rifles though.

Looks like the Lancer hand guard would fit. The OD of the thermal dissipator is 1.375, so KMR or NSR are out. I found that the weight of the JP RC rail in 15.5" is 14.5oz and the Lancer carbon version is 9.9oz. Sure is a lot of effort and money to drop 5 oz. I don't think I feel comfortable taking apart my JP, or letting a local smith do it either! No big deal for my other rifles though.

His handguard looked to be 17.25" and he has the top rail...

If you go to a lancer handguard (<7-8 oz), lose the thermal dissipator (<5 oz), grab a lighter mount (< 2 oz) you could probably shave a pound.

Somebody on here would likely buy the JP handguard and thermal dissipator.

Edited by gnhowell1

Thank everyone for their imput. I will most likely remove the 1200 rail and get a lighter mount (areo precision). I really like the stock and I cant get rid of the handguard it looks too good. Plus it will be in the low 8lbs which is ok in my book as she shoots hella flat with zero recoil.

• 4 weeks later...

I built something similar than started to change out thing to make it lighter.

What change was removing pretty much what you have and putting on:

Stretch 16 barrel

SLR ultra lite 15 inch handguard

stock non adjustable gas block

Lantac dragon brake

BCM gunfighter stock and grip

non ambi safety and mag release or bolt catch, all standard

JP SCS

after all that it came out to be 6 lbs ish. Can't remember the exact weight.

Future upgrades:

SLR titanium adjustable

BCM KMR 13 inch