Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Policing brass

Carlos

Noticed this topic on the match etiquette thread. Apparently, some clubs have a policy that squad members or ROs (refered to as "staff" - you have staff members?) should pick up all of the brass for the person who is shooting. Interesting. This is not the general policy at the clubs I have shot with in Area 8; we rarely pick up 100% of our brass. A fellow shooter who moved here from NM was astonished at the volume of .40S&W brass left on the ground after a competition; he told me that at some clubs west of the Miss., there are children present who retrieve you brass for a tip - something like a caddy in golf. Different strokes I suppose.

I often leave my .45ACP brass behind because between each shooter, I am volunteering to keep score, paste targets, reset steel, or loading/cleaning my mags -- our squads are so small and move so quickly that there is rarely enough time to pick up brass without holding everyone up (note -  we often begin shooting from one position and then advance downrange to fire most of the shots ahead of the start 180 so retrieval of much of the brass is not possible. Moreover, there are often other squads waiting to shoot and one cannot make them wait over a few pieces of spent brass). I respect the practices used in other parts of the country and I certainly police all of my brass in practice; however, please understand that not every club match accomodates those who expect to take away every piece of brass shot in a match.  What is the procedure used for brass retrieval at the nationals and WS? Not to say right or wrong - just curious about regional differences.

Its all different. I shoot at a couple local clubs that no-one would think about picking brass or helping you pick yours. Other local clubs they treat picking brass as the main event and shooting as secondary event :)

At our ranges they don't want anybody picking up their brass because the range sweeps it up and sells it.  One night at the speed shooting, one bozo kept stopping after every set to pick up his brass.  The RO who was calling the matches slid the 60-gallon "brass bucket" over behind him while he was shooting and dumped it into him from the blind side.  The guy was up to his ankles in brass.... message received.

I'm OK with "Lost Brass" matches.  I give up my brass at GSSF matches.  But, if there are 8-10 folks on a squad, there's no reason why shooters shouldn't get 75% of their brass back.  It doesn't take all of them to tape and set steel.  With 2 people brassing, picking brass does not slow down the shooting in any way.

Aside from that, when in Rome...

E

Bountyhunter

Good thing I was not the shooter who got the brass dumped on him.  To quote John Wayne, "You'd wish a ton of brick had fell on you...", or a Tightloop quote, "You'd rather sandpaper a lions ass in a phone booth..."

tightloop,

Can't say for sure, but I'm guessing you wouldn't have deserved the dumping! :)

At Rio Salado club matches, the RO calls "brassers." He calls the shooter, on deck, in the hole, two tapers (if necessary), and a couple on brass.

be

"Good thing I was not the shooter who got the brass dumped on him.  To quote John Wayne, "You'd wish a ton of brick had fell on you...", or a Tightloop quote, "You'd rather sandpaper a lions ass in a phone booth..."

Actually, it was pretty funny.  A not-so-subtle way of telling the bozo he was being a jerk for making all the other shooters wait for him to scrounge up his precious brass cases.  They were all buddies so there were no hard feelings.  Glad I wasn't shooting in that round, I laughed so hard it took me a while to get with it again.

At our local club, we don't want to slow down the match so we wait until all stages have been shot and pick up brass while tearing down the stages.  By using this method, you get "more help = less work = more fun" and you get most of your brass back. This seems to work pretty good for us...

At our club, everyone shoots and everyone works.  If you don't do your part in picking up brass or taping or setting steel, people notice.  If the RO feels things are slowing down, he'll loudly call for tapers and brass.

If you don't want your brass, fine.  The RO gets first dibs, then anyone else in the squad who wants it.  But you still have to do your share of taping and picking.

We get new shooters and visitors indoctrinated pretty quickly, and don't have much of a problem.  We do five stage, 120-140 round matches, with 70-80 shooters, and finish in five hours.

Most of the matches I go to you are EXPECTED to shag brass.

That it slows down the match is absolutely ridiculous. If everyone is working, and picking up the brass FOR the shooter, right after the R.O. calls the range safe, it is done at the same time as scoring, taping, and pasting. It takes 30 - 40 seconds tops, if everyone available helps.

Some of us NEED that brass back, we can't afford new brass every match we shoot. It  hurts enough leaving 300 rounds plus on the ground at major "lost brass" match.

And the argument "I don't want my brass, so I'm not going to shag for anyone else" doesn't hold water either.... even if you don't want YOUR brass, somebody else DOES want theirs. If they have to pick it up themselves, it does slow the macth down. If others do it for you, virtually no time is lost.

Everyone is expected to shag, tape or paint at my local clubs. It is a CLUB match for Gods sake. If you're not willing to shag, find SOMETHING to do, or your welcome will wear out pretty quick.

In SCCA auto racing, every driver is assigned work duties as part of a club race.... you're expected wot work corners, etc. on your "off" time. If you don't do your "work", you get kicked from the race results.

IPSC matches should adopt similar guidelines.