Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whos built their own targets? Lets see pictures.

CrashDodson

I wanted something cheap and light weight.

I take two landscaping spikes (about 12" long) and drive them into the ground about 5" and 18" apart.

I place a 6" long piece of 2" PVC pipe over each spike and slip the 1"x2" wood strip into each piece of PVC pipe.

I can carry a dozen target stands (2 nails + 2 pcs of pipe) in a 5 gallon bucket with room to spare for the stapler and timer.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

These are my target stands:

1180614B-6E5A-4CE5-9131-1E60319DAAB5-351

They can be adjusted to two sizes. The V shape is for the 24 inch wide B27 targets used for the IL CCW course. The X shape...you just move the bolt and wing nut down to the next hole...is for the 18 inch wide USPSA/IDPA targets. The additional w

holes are for staking it to the ground or if you have a drill or impact driver and the right soil conditions, you can lag screw them to the ground.

They fold up...just loosen the wing nut...and fit in a 5 gallon bucket like this:

6431E236-1837-4E4B-BD0B-F83982305F21-322

Here is a video from a guy down in Florida assembling my swinging target:

http://youtu.be/i0L2FL0XTCI

These are my target stands:

1180614B-6E5A-4CE5-9131-1E60319DAAB5-351

They can be adjusted to two sizes. The V shape is for the 24 inch wide B27 targets used for the IL CCW course. The X shape...you just move the bolt and wing nut down to the next hole...is for the 18 inch wide USPSA/IDPA targets. The additional w

holes are for staking it to the ground or if you have a drill or impact driver and the right soil conditions, you can lag screw them to the ground.

They fold up...just loosen the wing nut...and fit in a 5 gallon bucket like this:

6431E236-1837-4E4B-BD0B-F83982305F21-322

Here is a video from a guy down in Florida assembling my swinging target:

http://youtu.be/i0L2FL0XTCI

Very cool. Is that swinger something you sell?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

post-53295-145334295705_thumb.jpg

We made some for our club. It is 1" pvc, and I heated some up in the oven about 5 min at 300 degrees. You can shove a piece of lathe inside and it will mold perfectly to the wooden lathe. I also filled them with concrete to give them some weight.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

attachicon.gif20150317_183933.jpg

We made some for our club. It is 1" pvc, and I heated some up in the oven about 5 min at 300 degrees. You can shove a piece of lathe inside and it will mold perfectly to the wooden lathe. I also filled them with concrete to give them some weight.

Nice idea on heating them

These are my target stands:1180614B-6E5A-4CE5-9131-1E60319DAAB5-351

They fold up...just loosen the wing nut...and fit in a 5 gallon bucket like this:6431E236-1837-4E4B-BD0B-F83982305F21-322

Here is a video from a guy down in Florida assembling my swinging target:http://youtu.be/i0L2FL0XTCI

Very cool. Is that swinger something you sell?

It was something I did as a side gig a few years ago. Back then, the real challenge for me was getting everything to fit into a USPS flat rate box meant for board games, and then having a product the customer could assemble with as few as hand tools...none actually...as possible:

52D81C21-2134-4812-9540-FFD6EAA9584F-133

I also used to make a drop turner:

3297774E-C424-4301-A7F9-9C8A422BF790-95-

If I were to start making swingers again, I would change some things. I also made a bobbing/peek-a-boo target. I would go with machined shafts for each, out of stainless:

43DA5231-AEE0-4B6F-87D3-03EECFA645CB-508

BobberPeekABooTarget: http://youtu.be/tmmL9lhdfLM

I have since switched jobs, so free time is at a premium, especially since my shop isn't heated/air conditioned. :(

Edited by Chills1994

The inside dimensions of the USPS flat rate board game box are like 3" tall by 11.75" wide by like 23.75" long.

So the counterweight was like a pipe with an O.D. of either 3 inches or 2.875".

Some later versions, I think, were made with a large hex nut welded on the side. The nut had a big enough ID to accept a funnel, so if you wanted to add lead birdshot or sand, you could.

the bobber/peek a boo target used a Campbell's Chunky soup can filled up the brim with molten lead. It weighs 11 pounds. I always tried to sell two of those at a time, so I could ship the soup cans filled with lead in a separate flat rate box.

I heard Max Davidson (gunsteel.com) is out of the target business. I don't think anyone else is making a bear trap/max trap/clamshell type target.

Edited by Chills1994

attachicon.gif20150317_183933.jpg

Great idea! My treated sticks fit fine in my PVC stands, but the fatter untreated club sticks left out in barrels collect water, the ends swell and then they don't fit so well.

What sucks is if the furring strips are dry and they slide in just fine prior to match set up. Then it rains before it is time to tear everything down after the match and the furring strips are stuck inside the target stand.

:angry:

Edited by Chills1994

What sucks is if the furring strips are dry and they slide in just fine prior to match set up. Then it rains before it is time to tear everything down after the match and the furring strips are stuck inside the target stand.

:angry:

I've taken to thinning the ends of the sticks a bit with a Cold Steel shovel I keep in the truck.

ColdSteelSpecialForcesShovel1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My training partner and I built this at work the other day from scrap material. Not as light as those posted above but it'll last forever and at the cost of 1 box of girl scout cookies ( thin mints, of course... ) you can't beat it.

Sleeves for the target sticks are 18" apart, a 1x2 furring strip will fit in fine and I drop in another short scrap piece of 1x2 behind the first to eliminate any wobble.

post-61572-0-12467700-1457100154_thumb.j