Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magpul 700 Hunter stock

dtilley001

Just starting to get serious with a rifle build. I was on the fence of getting a Ruger precision rifle or a Rem 700 but have decided to get a Rem 700 sps tactical aac in 308 with threaded barrel & use one of the Magpul 700 hunter stocks with it. Rifle will primarily be used for mid range tactical / hunting rifle. Has anyone used one of these stocks & if so what are your thoughts? I googled several reviews but most of the reviews were just of people's initial thoughts after taking the stock out of the box & attaching the rifle to the stock, not many reviews after actual use of it at the range or hunting.

Just curious why you went with the Remmy. Everybody is working their butts off to get the Ruger. Have heard so much good stuff about it. I built a custom about a year ago, and I love it, but if I were getting into the long range game right now, I'd pick the Ruger in 6.5 creed every time without a question. They did do a write up on the Magpul 22 stock over at accuracy-tech.com, and they liked it pretty good.

Edited by shooter steve

Not much stuff available for the Ruger vs having hundreds of options available for parts for the Rem 700 was the deciding factor for me. Also I haven't heard if the trigger in the Ruger is able to be replaced with an AR trigger or if it is its own make. I don't like the "accu-trigger" style triggers so that is an issue for me with the Ruger, not that that style of trigger isn't good, just personal preference.

I have a Rem 700 AAC-SD that I just got a Magpul Hunter 700 in FDE to change out a B&C tactical. I switched it out to give local PRS a more serious try this year.

The biggest draw to me was the cost factor to get into PRS without breaking the bank. I could have bought a detachable mag system for the B&C but paid $288.93 shipped for the FDE stock and magwell kit from DSG got it in 2 days. I like the stock, the weight savings is a huge plus and the ergonomics are great. I set the butt pad spacers to a 14 inch LOP. The one thing I'm debating right now is getting all metal AICS 10 round mags at $80 each to run in it or waiting until Magpul releases theirs.

The stock itself is well made but remember it is a modular construction, there are a couple of minor join gaps but I can live with them. The barrel with the action installed floats freely in the channel and is evenly centered. Being Magpul, accessorizing is easy for QD slings, bipod etc. I'll post a picture when I'm finished setting it up.

Edited by Boxerglocker

I just got a MAGPUL 700 stock also. I want to use the REM 700 LTR 308 with 20 inch barrel in the MAGPUL for hunting. I like the mag conversion. I like the ability to modify length of pull and stock height plus lower weight and options for sling and bipod mounting. I just could not justify the price of other aftermarket stocks.

It's a pretty decent stock for the price. I like the fact that you can adjust the length of pull and the cheek height. Grip angle and shape is the same as on their shotgun stocks, which I like. But it may be a bit small or angled a bit strange for some. That's personal preference. Finish and overall quality is about what you'd expect from Magpul.

I'm holding out for a FDE or ODG stock. I have seen a few of the FDE on ebay but haven't seen any of the ODG ones yet. I wondered about the grip angle being a little different than what I am used. For the price I'm willing to give it a try.

I'm holding out for a FDE or ODG stock. I have seen a few of the FDE on ebay but haven't seen any of the ODG ones yet. I wondered about the grip angle being a little different than what I am used. For the price I'm willing to give it a try.

It's my understanding that Magpul is discontinuing ODG and the only 2 colors they'll be doing moving forward are Black & Sand. Sand is dyeable so you can make it any color you'd like. Certain distributors/large customers may get special runs of colors used in the past but I'm sure when & if that will happen. Edited by gnhowell1

DSG Arms has them in FDE received mine last week. $288.71 shipped with the Magwell kit.

Edited by Boxerglocker