Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

540 vs HS6

Steelix

Just picked up HS-6 as before all I used was 540. I here there are the same but is that load wise too. As I use 8.7gr of 540 with 134 gr bullet in a 38super there old bullets that I'm just using up, would starting out with 8.3gr of HS-6 be ok or should I start lower. The 8.7gr of 540 with 134gr bullet was 178pf.

I use HS-6 on occasion and am slowly working off a canister of WW540 right now.

They are the exact same powder and in general you can use the same loads, and as Yoshidaex wrote the difference between the old WW540 and newer HS-6 charge weights are minimal....however there is some lot to lot variance so I would start low and work up just to be sure. I notice with my WW540 it takes about 0.4gr more (38 super major) to make the same pf compared to a newer lot of HS-6 I have .

i still have 6lbs of unopened 540 that i need to use up but I bought a 1lb can of HS-6 to try out as I heard it was the same. But then I read on here guy's are only 8.6gr of HS-6 with 124gr bullets, so that's why I ask. All of my note's are from when I shot open back in mid 90's, pf was 175 so my loads where 9.0gr 540 with 134gr cp bullet that made 180pf, and weekly match's I backed it down to 8.7gr of 540 for 178pf. If what Bamboo said is true then 8.3gr of HS-6 with 134gr cp bullet should be ok even if its .4gr hotter. I'm using the same gun as I did before Para 38 super with a Clark barrel 3 port comp open gun. I'm just getting my feet wet again with shooting now that the kids are older and I have time. I do want to bring down the pf to around 172 that is if the gun will still shoot flat, and I can't wait to shoot 124gr bullets with the lower pf as I tried it before and I never liked them at 180pf.

HS6 is simply the label Hodgdon put on their cans of Winchester 540. They have always been the exact same powder, just like 231/HP38. Just as HS-7 was the same as W571. Even had the same lot number from the actual manufacturer often.