Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear muffs/plugs

blacklab

I have a thread started about my steelmaster being too loud and a lot of people said they were using both plugs and muffs when shooting open. Just wondering how using both works. How do you hear the range master? I don't think I would like having that much of my hearing taken away. I don't really like wearing muffs anyway, they are hot and bulky. I have been looking into electronic ear plugs. There seems to be a few companies out there, can anyone tell me how good they are and what brand they recommend? And can you still hear people talk but not have the gun shot rattle your teeth? Any insight would be appreciated.

Edited by blacklab

I have electronic ear plugs. They don't block sound as well as non electronic plugs. They are basically hollow to house the electronics inside. If more noise reduction is your goal then electronic plugs probably aren't the solution. I wear muffs over them if I keep score for open guns.

I use foam ear plugs and electronic muffs, so I get the best of both - max reduction of the louder sounds and amplification of range commands. I have permanent ringing in my ears and sensitivity to muzzle blast, so nothing but the higher NRR foam plugs with muffs work for me, but the amplification of electronic muffs are more than enough to allow me to hear range commands and follow normal conversations through the plugs.

I am using the 3M™ PELTOR™ TEP-100 Tactical Earplugs with the Skull Screw ear plugs. These units are rated to provide a 30 decibel noise reduction which seems fine at the outdoor range I shoot at. One can have a normal conversation even withe the constant shooting in the background. Plus they come in a cool little case that keeps them charged. I am only at the range for a few hours and do not know how long the rechargeable internal batteries really last.

Rasyad

The trick is to get custom ear plugs and electronic ear muffs

This. I use the custom molded silicon ear plug and Pro Ears electronic muffs. I wear the plugs during the whole match and just put the muffs on when I'm shooting. I don't like wearing the muffs all day, especially in the summer. I can actually hear talking/range commands better once I put the muffs on.

I use custom made non digital plugs and standard muffs, i can hear and understand the range commands as long as the RO isnt speaking softly but I take them off for normal conversation as they are "too effective" for a standard conversation.

Our local matches include a good amount of open shooters so I (and most people) only double up when there is an open shooter on the line.

I also double up when shooting 3gun are the rifle comps are just as bad if not a little worse

Taco2000 I've never used either of those other 2 brands so i wouldn't be able to compare. But I wear my wildear hearing boosters for 12 hours some days roing and shooting major 3 gun matches and they are extremely comfortable and do a great job of blocking sound. They also amplify normal non damaging sounds

I'm using custom molded plugs and the $50 electronic peltors everyone wears. Works great shooting open and to be perfectly honest I almost turn the electronic muffs off when I'm on deck. Doubling up on ear pro not only helps keep the ears safe, it helps me reduce audial distractions.

When i shoot with guys running open indoors in the MN winter I do run plugs with electronic muffs. It allows me to hear and tolerate the noise. I do the same thing when shooting AR matches indoors and it still does the trick

I wear my plugs all day, and only put my muffs on when its my turn to shoot. I hate muffs, they give me a brutal headache if I wear them for any amount of time. I never used to wear muffs, only the plugs, but I kinda like it. When you are running a stage you can't hear anything except for then gun and your own thoughts, none of the people talking in the background or anything. I think I might start doing it with my limited gun as well.

I always forgot them in my bag so my squad always had to wait for me to run back to my bag and get my muffs when it was my turn, so I recently got one of those $1 muff holder things that I can just leave on my belt. Now I never don't have them.

http://www.amazon.com/Safariland-075-2-Hearing-Protector-Holder/dp/B0001LMBMS/ref=pd_sim_469_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=31AV7s-sk2L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR148%2C160_&refRID=0TXHAXQXCYA1HR6QRKTH

I shot through the earlier years (83 to 99) with 175 power factor and the beginning of the .38 super and porting the barrels. When they were introduced I wore Pro Ears over plugs the but that was to late. I have a constant buzzing in my head. Plugs are not enough. You need to protect the outer area of your ears as well. I had the original Pro Ears from the 90s I wore forever, When I started back shooting IPSC it was indoors in the winter. The ringing was getting worse quick, I bought the Pro Ears Mag Gold for indoors and while instructing. I still used my originals outdoors and for shotgun until I broke a battery tab. I recently bought the Predator Gold 300 series, I find them the most comfortable and quieter than the Pro Mags. I am very pleased, The have softer, puffier ear cushions which I think helps them be better protection sealing around the ear pieces of your shooting glasses. I have custom molded Silicone ear plugs but they are firm and get worse in the cold. If you move your jaw much the seal cracks letting noise in. I am going to get fit for Westone Defend Ear Max to be worn under my muffs. They have a rating of 29 and are supposed to be a little softer with a slight compression fit. One of the advantages of double hearing is no flinching or blinking if you get close to a prop or anything making the blast worse. Trust me put off your next have to have purchase and invest in your hearing protection. Replace your ear cushions when the become stiffer or compressed, do not use foam plugs over and over. I was fortunate for my results when actively traveling/ shooting and would give those memories up in a minute not to have this constant ringing.