Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mover settings

Smallbore

With enough repetition, it will become second nature. You won't even realize you've moved it. Get a routine down, and repeat it often. Dry fire is your friend in this case as in many others.

Some move it before reloading, others after. Do what works best for you. You might want to get into the habit of looking down at the gun just before going to "surrender" every time until you get it ingrained into your routine, just to make sure you're all set to shoot the next string. The "handle" should point to where the target is coming out.

It will come to you in time.

Edited by Alan550

While we're on the subject, I have come up with a new cam for anyone who needs more lead in their Stick Shift. It will be a simple matter of exchanging 2 parts. This is for those shooting slow heavy bullets like 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 38 wadcutters, etc. I don't know how much more lead this will give, but almost 2 times the original, so should be plenty extra.

Smallbore

As Alan says get a routine in your head and stick to it. Mine is to move the lever, reload,put empty mag back in holder, holster gun. Raise left hand and before I raise the right hand to show ready I look at my mag holder( shows me what string we are on) and my right hand grips the gun, thumb touches lever to check setting and then hand is raised to show ready. No doubts in your mind allows you to concentrate on the target.

If in doubt about your routine, write prompt cards for each event and velcro them to your ammo/range bag. Last thing to look at before you raise that hand. With the way my memory is heading I might be looking for my old cards again :D

Thanks for the idea about my routine. I started double checking my chamber to make sure I was loaded. I need to think of an easy to remember acronym for all the steps I need to take before I am ready.

Maybe SAM?

Slide

Ammo

Mover

Thanks for the idea about my routine. I started double checking my chamber to make sure I was loaded. I need to think of an easy to remember acronym for all the steps I need to take before I am ready.

Maybe SAM?

Slide

Ammo

Mover

As far as checking to see that you're loaded, if you load 8 rounds in your first mag and 7 in each of the others, you can check each mag as it comes out of the gun before putting it back into the mag pouch. You will have one round left in each, provided you didn't have to clear a jam or otherwise eject a live one during the string of fire. Don't just put 6 in each one. In case of a problem that leaves you no extras for a problem-solver. Also using 7 adds weight from that extra round for ease of dropping the mag and gives you a loaded chamber at all times. If you go to slide-lock on each string, you end up with a "hand-chambered round" that historically means that first shot won't hit to same POI as the ones that the action of the gun chambered which can present real problems at the 50- yard line on Practical.

For double-stack guns, put in 13 for the same reasons.

Using an acronym is a good idea to develop a routine. Just do what works for YOU. Keep it in your head and don't vocalize it though! People will begin to wonder about this guy who "talks to himself" during a match! :roflol::cheers:

Edited by Alan550

While we're on the subject, I have come up with a new cam for anyone who needs more lead in their Stick Shift. It will be a simple matter of exchanging 2 parts. This is for those shooting slow heavy bullets like 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 38 wadcutters, etc. I don't know how much more lead this will give, but almost 2 times the original, so should be plenty extra.

That is great news! The slow heavy 38 Special is my favorite ?

-John

I really couldn't tell you what my routine is. Can't remember if I flip it before I reload or after. I try to get in the habit of touching the lever just before I put my hand up. I was smoking the mover at Bianchi in 2013. I'm talking x'ed out the 10 and 15. Thought about the 20 yard line before I stepped out of the box at 15 and forgot to flip it. as soon as I fired the 3 shots at 20 I knew what I did. My 20 yard target had 9 x's and 3 shots off the target!! Finished up with a "perfect" 450 mover. Lesson learned the very hard way.

I would suggest flipping it first and then reload. Then check it again.

I really couldn't tell you what my routine is. Can't remember if I flip it before I reload or after. I try to get in the habit of touching the lever just before I put my hand up. I was smoking the mover at Bianchi in 2013. I'm talking x'ed out the 10 and 15. Thought about the 20 yard line before I stepped out of the box at 15 and forgot to flip it. as soon as I fired the 3 shots at 20 I knew what I did. My 20 yard target had 9 x's and 3 shots off the target!! Finished up with a "perfect" 450 mover. Lesson learned the very hard way.

I would suggest flipping it first and then reload. Then check it again.

I think that anyone who shoots the match has done that more than once and realizes how easy it can happen. In addition to forgetting to flip the mover I have also forgotten to turn my dot on and reload. The one nice thing at the Cup is there is a camera right up your butt to record it for posterity. :)

Edited by toothguy