Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTFire on a new CZ97 BD

MrRick

Been having an issue with my new 97BD. When I first got it, I was getting randomly FTFire. Like 2-4 out of 50 rounds. I suspected that maybe were my reloads. A second trigger pull would fix the issue. Today, took it out with some WWB and it was worst. On a average, 2 rounds out of every magazine will have this issue. After 50 rounds, got tired and put it away. Took it home and did the pencil/firing pin test to find it very inconsistent. Most of the time the pencil (no eraser) will just bounce, then some other times, it will shoot out of the barrel but then there were others that it wouldn't move. At the moment this is one of my HD guns but I have to side line it. I have put about 200 rounds through it so far and this it the the one issue I have with this gun. Recommendations?

Edited by MrRick

Did you buy it new? I'd consider contacting CZ USA, describing the issue and have them repair it. If not, Cajun Gun Works and CZ Custom are top notch.

If you are handy, or like to experiment... I suspect a burr or fitment issue of the firing pin block or lifter. I'm no expert so hopefully some others "chime in". I'd use a snap cap or ear plug and observer some trigger pulls and see if the hammer appears to be striking consistently. If so, I'd start from the top down? Remove the firing pin retaining pin and remove the firing pin block and firing pin. Look closely for mechanical wear on those parts. Maybe try it again without the firing pin block installed and see if it's (firing pin) hanging up in there (maybe a weak or poor fitting firing pin block spring?). Then I'd start to look into the firing mechanism and see if the lifter is functioning correctly. If it's still hanging without the firing pin block and the hammer is falling correctly I'd suppose a spring to firing pin fit issue, a burr or machining defect in the firing pin bore or firing pin.

The gun is new. I played with the the firing pin and firing block this morning. The firing pin seems to not want to slide easily and the block seems rough to push up. Thinking taking it apart and see if there are any burrs in there but I might just leave it alone and let CZ fix it but not holding my breath on them since it does it randomly.

Take the firing pin out and clean everything, put it back together, then try the pencil test again. Especially if you dread sending off the slide. If you don't mind the gun or slide being tied up for a few weeks, sure send it it, but I bet it is an easy fix.

Joe

I think I found the problem. Took the pin out and polished the pin and was about to polish the channel when I felt something grabbing the sandpaper. Did a bit more sanding and this came out. It is a small piece of metal.

D80CFD69-A082-4764-ABED-03FAD42AE543_zps

So took it out today. WWB was giving me issues but not as much. This was the reminder of the box I used before. I was having them about one every other magazine. it was putting better dents on the ammo though. I was surprised that they didn't fire. That was a box of 50. Tried 20 of my reloads and those ran 100%. I think I will be sending it to CZ.

Went today with a box of 50rds Federal and it ran 100%. All primers look good too. Will reload a new batch and go give it another try to be 100%. But damn it is a sweet pistol to shoot when you are not concentrating on FTFire.

Edited by MrRick

• 4 weeks later...