Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So much for winter project Loadmaster

The case feed, Hornady bullet feed and the latest primer system came in and I made some adapters for my collators so they would work.

I also added a counter, light and mirror, so I could know how many primers I went through and so I could see the powder throw as I couldn't also run a PC die.

In any case here is a video of 100 rounds loaded on a Lee Loadmaster in under 4 minutes.

IMG_20151216_142529_480_zpstzjfm8bs.jpg

IMG_20151216_142500_317_zpsxbs7anct.jpg

IMG_20151216_142428_797_zps87y4xzqw.jpg

My problem with the Lee Progressives was having to constantly dink with them. I would run a couple hundred rounds then something would happen and the shell feeder would start screwing up for no apparent reason. Get that straightened out and the primer feed would go wonky. Then there was the time the powder measure failed to load random cases, causing squibs. That was the straw that broke my back and made me buy a 650. Good luck with yours. maybe I just got some lemons.

I had one set up to load 40 and it ran great once I got it going it was pretty much trouble free, I tried to set up a second one to load 9mm and had nothing but trouble. I got frustrated and bought a Hornady LNL. I think some of them are good and some not so much.

I think the problem is most likely to blame on the shell plate. They use the same one for 40 S&W that they use for 9mm your LNL does not.

What this means is that the 40 case fits in the shell plate correctly (so loaded fine for you) and the 9mm one is flopping around in it and not centered over the primer when it comes up in station #2.

If you look closely I put an extra 9mm powder die I had in station 2, so the case is centered before the primer is seated.

I had three of those LoadMasters at one point - they were very cheap to buy, like $200 fully equipped, I believe, and it never stopped surprising me how something built so cheaply could do anything practical. I had come to admire their dirt-cheap solutions, that if not most of the time, then at least sometimes, worked. The primer tray shaker, the case collator - those things are amazing in their simplicity.

But eventually the cheapness started to irritate me, even when it worked. Especially the primer area - it was a constant struggle there. I was able to afford better presses, so I moved on. However, if I was on a tight budget, I would keep those LM's working.

So my general recommendation - save money and move on!

So my general recommendation - save money and move on!

I always looked at it as not saving any money if you had an inferior product that wouldn't meet your expectations. Why I have always favored my Dillon's over other progressives.

The fellow that gave it to me had given up on it and is using a 450 instead, I was actually surprised how east it was to get it to run but it won't be making it to my reloading bench.

I had good success with my Lee Pro 9mm but problems when I went to .40 so I got a Loadmaster. Never could get it to work quite as well as the Pro. It would run like a champ for a while then screw up. Finally switched to a 550B and discovered two things:

1. I prefer a manual index to an automatic. Not sure why, it just suits me better. I think it keeps me focused better. Which leads me to the second thing.

2. You have to develop a smooth steady pace. Going just a bit too fast can lead to problems. And I think that may have been part of my problem with the auto-indexing.

One thing I notice in your video is that you are using a nice steady pace. A bit faster than I might go but you seem to have found a sweet spot.

I'm not surprised. I've been saying for ages you can get an LM to run. I ran 9 and super on mine just fine. Yes I had to periodically replace primer parts and tune the indexing. I must have been lucky as one part that always worked was the case feeding.

There is some nice design in them (and some not so nice) but mostly it gets let down by the large manufacturing tolerances and the cheap small parts.

Using a tray to feed primers is a cool idea and saves heaps of time vs pecking one by one. Primer seat on the up stroke is great too along with adjustable seat depth. But you do need a die in s2 to keep the case centered.

Nicely done. :)

I think he was referring to the thread I started looking for a Loadmaster guru. I am old enough to seek out others that had already solved the problems I was headed into.

Shortens the learning curve.

Good point on the age! Me, I am getting there too... and I have done enough screwing around with bad parts. These days I want to go downstairs, sit by the press, and make a couple of hundred rounds, nothing else.

That is enough drama for me! :) At least until my next colonoscopy.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm interested in the parts used for the telescoping case feed tube and switch. Is that off the shelf from somewhere? Thanks.

This is the proximity sensor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IFM-EFECTOR-IW-3008-ANOG-PROXIMITY-SWITCH-IW3008ANOG-NIB-/140342023349

The tube was just something I had that fit the Dillon clamp, that I drilled so the Lee tube would telescope into it (the depth of the drill is where it is no longer clear).