Where to get good, cheap .223rem brass

LeviSS

I'm lazy and tired of reaming primer pockets. :D

Once Fired .223/5.56 Brass

Cleaned, Deprimed & Swaged - LC Only

http://brassbombers.com/223-556-Cleaned-Deprimed-Swaged-Lake-City_c48.htm

500 Pieces $55.00 Free Shipping!!

1,000 Pieces $92.00 Free Shipping!!

NOTE: Lake City brass is the hardest brass in the base you can get and very high quality compared to Remchester .223 brass.

556hard-a_zps7570e6b0.jpg

hardness-a_zps8d54ad66.jpg

Below is an excerpt from *CatShooters posting on .223/5.56 brass hardness At AccurateShooter.com.

The actual Hardness measurements were (.062"x100kg, Rockwell "B")

LC 2008 = 96

Lapua 223 Match = 86

Norma = 76

Winchester 223 = 69

Remington "R-P" = 49

For all you guys that have been saying that Winchester cases were tougher than Remington... you are vindicated, they are a lot tougher!... 40% tougher

For all you guys that think Lake City is surplus junk, nothing could be further from the truth. It is some of the most bestest brass made (it is paid for by the tax payer), so enjoy it!!!

LC and Lapua are the "The pick of the litter"!

*CatShooter runs a small ammunition plant.

Edited by bigedp51

why does "hardness" make it better brass?

The 5.56 case was made harder because they were part of the jamming problem with the early M16 rifle. It was made harder because making the case thicker like 7.62 NATO case would cut down too much on internal case capacity.

The above information is from the book below.

Casehardness-a_zps14dbe0fd.jpg

blackrifle_zpsdc047115.jpg

Below on the right and left are Lake City 5.56 cases and in the center is a Federal .223 case. Not only is the Military 5.56 case harder the flash hole web is thicker to add more strength to the base of the case. Meaning for the reloader the primer pockets stay tighter much longer with warmer loads.

fedcasethickness_zpsd43801c6.jpg

Below a better photo of military and commercial contract ammunition made for the military.

0027_zpsxd5ysevv.jpg

You asked why is it made harder, the answer is the AR15 chamber is .002 larger in diameter and the SAW machine gun chamber is .004 larger in diameter than SAAMI .223 standards.

Bottom line, Lake City 5.56 brass is made Ford Truck Tough and .223 cases are made like a Chevy.

Edited by bigedp51

Thanks guys. I may just go to brass bombers and get fully processed brass.

I don't need a ton, and I don't own a swager, so it's my cheapest option unless I start shooting a lot more .223.

Edited by LeviSS