Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Splits...

revchuck

Folks - Just out of curiosity, what kind of difference do you find in your split times firing major and minor loads from the same gun?

Years ago I had all of this written down. Can't remember the exact numbers but between .38s at 125 PF and .357s at 175 PF, ( It was a long time ago) my splits would be about .15 slower in the .357 loads.

OK, maybe I misunderstood, but I view major as 165-168PF and minor as 125+PF. Maybe I see less difference because I am using a .40. All of the .38 loads I have shot were mild compared to plus P and magnum loads, but that may be a bullet weight difference issue.

Revchuck,

you asked a vague question....

but I will give you several answers.

At what I call point shoot range where all I look for is the Black on the front of the gun in the A-Zone (out to about 12 yds on an Open target)....

NONE

This type of target is what I call hoser targets and getting the bullets out of the gun as fast as possible and me keeping the black blade where I want it I will get .18 to .20 splits between shots on the same target.

Now anything with distance, or some type of tight shots just depends on how well I am paying attention to and seeing my sights that day and how much target area there is to hit.

For Me (and that is for Me only) Fast splist don't mean SQUAT if you can't control where they are going... close up or farther out....This is a learned thing as at one time I wanted the fastest splits Possible from My finger and to Heck whether they were A's or C's :huh:

I have noticed that when I do shoot a Major IDPA match and go to the 610 and 130PF loads the sights not only go up less but settle quicker thus allowing a quicker second shot (or 3rd) if the targets are not in that "Hoser" catagory.

Now when I shot the Limited gun I could get .15 and .16 splits but because of the longer trigger stroke and the extra 4 pounds I am .02 or more slower but that can be made up else were with faster target to target splits and smarter stage procedures.

Fast splits are cool, and have their place in the shooting sports we use them for but even better is fast splits between targets...

Example:(in theory only)

3 targets evenly spaced at 7 yds away and 6 feet apart.

Draw 1.25 shoot .16 (transition between targets).45 shoot.16(transition).45 shoot .16 for a total of...........2.63 seconds :)

Example 2:

Draw 1.25 shoot .20 transition .20 shoot .20 transition .20 shoot .20 for a total of......2.25 :D

as you can see in the 2nd example you actually get more time on the target to confirm the "A" hits with your sight picture.

This works for all type of firearms in action type shooting (rifle and shotgun in 3-gun too).

Hope that answers your question....

Hopalong