Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range screw up

ramairthree

Been getting ready for a two day event and trying to get a 40 minor load.

I recently moved and can't find my ancient CE ProChrono. No hook ups for it. Just take notes off the read out ten feet in front of me. I have had it since 1998.

I went to order a new one with the excuse it probably is not accurate anymore. At least that is what I told the wife.

The range is a lot more crowded than it used to be so I wanted a remote set up. I always used to just put a table out and decided I should get a tripod. I was about to order a CE set up with blue tooth and also get a tripod, etc. when I saw a Caldwell kit that would be about a hundred bucks less. It came with a cord which I figured would be less prone to working than wireless. And a light kit for dark days or indoors.

The kit comes. The plug will not fit in the iPhone. Too big a diameter for phones in a case. The device only records shots. It does not do strings or anything without being hooked to an iPhone. The light kit does not turn on with the battery kit. The light kit does not turn on when plugged in. I get an adapter. I am all set. First two trips to the range go fine.

I now need reading glasses and am switching a good bit to read my phone and type in string and load names, etc. I go to a third trip to the range. Start a string. I have not realized My shooting glasses are pushed up and my reading glasses are on. As I am shooting my shooting glasses slip down and I flinch in a SA trigger pull. My chronograph goes flying.

I have shoot it at the very top. It is toast. Instead of a few inches over the readers, I was a quarter inch into the body. After 17 years of not shooting my chronograph, I have just killed one I had less than a week.

It is about 80 bucks to replace the chronograph portion. On a chronograph I hate compared to my old brand. On a load work up that has not worked out for my goal with different powders and weights. That I only bought to get this load worked out, when I have had the perfect 9mm production load for years.

I always laughed at people that shot their chronographs. I had years and thousands of pistol, carbine, scoped, etc. rounds and never shot mine. How could someone do such a stupid mistake? It is just like throwing money away.