Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mixing HC. With Black nitride

lrdchaos

Thank you, I'm concerned with the look. Matt cheely is doing the build and I'm thinking, black ldc frame, black grip, polished accessories, HC slide with black/chrome spiral fluted barrel. I think it will look good....maybe a little blingy.

Thank you, I'm concerned with the look. Matt cheely is doing the build and I'm thinking, black ldc frame, black grip, polished accessories, HC slide with black/chrome spiral fluted barrel. I think it will look good....maybe a little blingy.

No more "blingy" than the open gun I have planned. Black frame, stainless slide with polished sides, stainless grip with bright brushed finish, black magwell.

There is a thing when you get 2 dissimilar metals together one will get corrosion while the other won't. Like putting steal and aluminum together where they touch you get galvanic corrosion. But I have no idea if these two surfaces would have a propensity towards that.

Edited by Can

Well, I had my '94 vintage single stack refinished in Ionbond top and HC frame, about 7 or 8 years ago. No problems at all since then. Neither rail surface has any appreciable wear, which is not a surprise since the rails where they "interact" are always lubed with grease. No galling or oxidation so far...even though mine is finished in "reverse" to what you are planning, there is no reason that the result will be any different. Benny Hill made me a great railed caspian framed, two-tone single stack about 2-3 years ago with identical finish, and results were again excellent. Smooth and hard wearing...hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, karma bit me in the ass. Slide came back Friday. Looks awesome. Unfortunately, the slide no longer "slides" on the frame. Gun was super tight to begin with. I guess I should have known better. Had already been talking with a local gunsmith who does incredible 1911/2011 work about improving the trigger a little. Contacted him today about fitting the slide to frame. Just to make it worth while, I ordered an SV stainless grip for him to install too. Maybe I'll have it by Christmas. Pics to follow.

• 4 weeks later...