Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keep accidentally hitting Gen4 Glock 22/35 mag release - any fixes?

SirLoin

Hey guys,

I keep accidentally hitting the mag release on my Gen4 Glock 35 and dropping mags.

• Doesn't happen during live/dry fire, but it keeps happening when I'm running around a match
  • I'm guessing my support hand either moves up/forward or I squeeze too hard being all amped up, and I end up releasing the mag -- only reason I don't end up scattering mags across the range like a horse dropping poop all over the place is because I'm gripping the gun firm enough that the mag won't drop
  • Glock is 100% OEM/stock, except for sights and a powder puff recoil spring

Have any of you had personal experiences with this problem and, even better, fixing it?

Potential fixes I've thought about:

1) Move support hand lower or backward -- I don't like this, as I like to Vogel-power-clench my Glock as high/forward as possible to help control recoil better

2) Change/modify mag release -- my short thumb already has a hard time reaching for the mag release when I DO want to spit that mag out; also, I'm concerned doing so will kick me outta USPSA Production

Would appreciate any thoughts/comments.

Thanks!

For shooting production, there are a few options, but to be safe I would leave it.

How long have you been shooting this gun?

If you just got it, keep working at it, your brain will eventually train your hands where they arent allowed to be.

For shooting production, there are a few options, but to be safe I would leave it.

How long have you been shooting this gun?

If you just got it, keep working at it, your brain will eventually train your hands where they arent allowed to be.

Since 2011. This is the only gun I shoot. Have probably shot 40-50K rounds through it, dryfired at least 5-6x of that.

Right hand side. He's saying switch the mag release to the other side of the gun. You will likely be using your right index finger instead of your right thumb to press the button. Try it out and see how it feels.

Note: must have gen 4 mags, earlier mags are not bi-directional.

Edit: spelling

Edited by andyroth

Hmmmm. I didn't think about that. I've heard lefties complain about having a hard time hitting mag releases since they're designed for right-handed shooters. Not sure if that's a "new" problem worth having in lieu of my current problem, but something to think about. Thanks!

Hmmmm. I didn't think about that. I've heard lefties complain about having a hard time hitting mag releases since they're designed for right-handed shooters. Not sure if that's a "new" problem worth having in lieu of my current problem, but something to think about. Thanks!

How often does it happen? If it were happening to me I would be working on adjusting my grip. I'm actually going to have to adjust my grip too for a similar problem. The extended mag release on mine scratches the webbing skin between my left thumb and index finger. It had never caused a dropped mag though...

How often does it happen? If it were happening to me I would be working on adjusting my grip. I'm actually going to have to adjust my grip too for a similar problem. The extended mag release on mine scratches the webbing skin between my left thumb and index finger. It had never caused a dropped mag though...

1-3 times per stage during yesterday's match. That's around 1-3 times too many.

I ALWAYS switch the Gen 4's to the right side.....(small hands and no chance of breaking the 180 during mag changes)...MY SV 2011 has the Mitchell right side mag release, love it, never been challenged on the 180 rule... (THERE are THOSE that watch for any "rule" infraction, you know).

You've been having this problem since 2011 and just now looking for a solution?!

I'm a lefty and do fine using my trigger finger to release mags. I've tried reversing it to use my thumb and am so used to using my trigger finger that I didn't like it. If you do reverse the catch to use your trigger finger get the OEM extended catch, makes it much easier on the Gen 4.

You've been having this problem since 2011 and just now looking for a solution?!

I'm a lefty and do fine using my trigger finger to release mags. I've tried reversing it to use my thumb and am so used to using my trigger finger that I didn't like it. If you do reverse the catch to use your trigger finger get the OEM extended catch, makes it much easier on the Gen 4.

No. He asked how long I'd been shooting the gun. Mag release issues are recent, starting just a few months ago.

Okay. Good to know.

I'd recommend replacing your mag release spring annually. I had a spring develop a slight bend in it after a pretty high-volume training year and mags started dropping out of the gun under recoil. I changed the spring out and the problem went away immediately.