Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flat Bottom Firing Pin Stop - Witness Match

DougM

Does anyone make a flat bottom firing pin stop for a Witness Elite Match? For what its' worth, I'm talking about shooting 40S&W and 10mm from a Match and would like a smaller radius on the bottom of the stop similar to what they do with 1911's.

I saw from a post last year that Henning makes one as part of their Stock II kit but I can't find anything on their website about it. If I can't find one, would it make sense for me to weld up a spare stop to square off the bottom and then file the desired taper? Any other ideas?

Wonder why I can't find them on his website? By any chance do you have a part number or something I can use to reference it? I've sent them an email yesterday asking about it but have no idea what or when I'll get a response. Thanks for the info.

I just got a reply from Henning. The flat bottom firing pin stop was discontinued in 2014. Definitely sorry to hear about that. Any other sources anybody can think of? Or am I going to have to make my own, which I'd rather not do????

Per the earlier suggestion, I'm going to contact EGW and see what they have to say. Maybe we can get an alternate supplier. I hate to think of having to make my own by welding up a spare but it may come to that.

Hey, Intercooler. I got a response from EGW that they will make one if they had one to look at. Are you serious about being willing to loan them one of yours? If so, let me know and I'll forward you the email I got from them on where to send it and who to refer to. I'll be glad to pick up your costs. Thanks.

Jim from EGW told me that if I sent in a FPS, he would get it to his machinist. So I don't know if they would make it generally available on their website or if it would be a one-off. If there is interest out there for more, I could ask him if he'd do a batch for those who wanted one. Also, I would assume if his machinist makes me one, he would keep his prototype on hand to duplicate should additional orders come in.

I'm awaiting his response on whether the FPS sent in had to be a flat bottom one or if I could just send him the one from my Witness and he could use that to make a flat bottom FPS.

I'll post any responses I get.

Why is flat bottom better than rounded ?

It lowers the leverage point of the slide on the hammer. A lot of people feel like the feel of the gun this way as it should slightly slow the slide speed. I am speaking for the 1911 side of things here. The original 1911 patent had a very small radius and then it was changed to make raking the slide easier as the cavalry troops carried without a round in the chamber.

It allows you to run a lighter recoil spring while still having enough force holding the slide closed so that you don't come out of battery too early.

You are just transferring more energy to the hammer, so then your hammer may hit the beavertail.

Well, I sent my existing firing pin stop to Jim at EGW. It isn't a flat bottom FPS but he thought his machinist could work with it. I'm awaiting their response. I mentioned to Jim that they may want to consider keeping the specs available for anyone else who wants one and he said he'll let me know if they want to add it to their line-up.

I'll keep you folks up to date on what happens. Anyone here who is interested might want to send a note to EGW expressing your interest. Otherwise, mine might be a one-off and you'll be forced to make your own should you need one.

I wanted to get a FB FPB from EGW for my 1911 but they do not offer one for the adjustable rear sight. I emailed them asking if they would offer one in the future and was told "No plan". I am anxious to try one out on my Tanfo as well, so I shall email them.

One of my shooting pals got one on his 1911 and he loves "its recoil impulse". With a 23lb main spring and 14lb recoil spring in the gun, I could barely rack the slide. Table start (empty gun) would be very interesting.

• 1 month later...

Well, after a few emails and phone calls, I finally got a response this morning from Jim at EGW. Unfortunately, their workload won't allow them to make these "any time soon" in Jim's words. They did take the dimensions and promised when they do get a chance, they will run it.

To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. My gun has been down since November 3rd (when I sent my FPS to them) and I have little confidence they will ever get around to producing these. At least they didn't lose my FPS and are sending it back to me. Bummer!

Any ideas out there on where to get a flat bottom FPS for a Witness Match????

I just sent another email to Henning pleading with them to do a batch. Let's see if they will accommodate us. I used the email address (orders@henningshop.com) that they used to communicate earlier with me so hopefully this will reach the right person.