Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sell cz p09 for walther ppq?

I have a cz p09 with all of the cajun gun works goodies. I shoot the gun extremely well, but never have gotten a good connected feel to the gun. I recently picked up the walther ppq m2 and the gun felt like it was made specifically for me.I also loved the trigger, but I haven't shot the gun yet.

I mainly shoot a tac match in nc which loosely follows uspsa rules and might start to shoot some uspsa and idpa as well.

Shoukd I sell the p09 for the ppq? I would probably carry the ppq so besides sights leave it stock so I'd shoot production.

The only thing holding me back is how well I shoot the p09, but I've always preferred striker fired guns. I'm going to try to shoot the ppq today at my local range.

Any one have both and prefer one to the other?

I have both, and have shot both in a few small matches. I prefer the P09 because of the way it recoils and they way the sights return. For whatever reason, it feels very controllable and comfortable for me. It is also extremely accurate, or at least mine seems to be. It is a nice medium weight pistol...not super light, but not hard to drive around. I also find it easy to work on and enjoy all the cool parts options from CGW and CZcustom. I also think it is kind of ugly and weird in a utilitarian sort of way, but I think that only makes me like it more.

The PPQ M2 has a great striker fired trigger, excellent accuracy, a great mag release button, and points really naturally. It is very light and this could be a positive or negative. It flies out of the holster, and is easy to move and cycles very quickly, but it can be pretty snappy in recoil. It does seem to come right back on target, however. The stock sights are weird, but the Dawson replacements are great. It is kind of hard to find many holster options and extra mags are kind of expensive, although nothing like the P09. I only have 2 real complaints about the PPQ M2.

1. For me, the slide release lever extends very far back and can easily get held down. I think I could learn not to touch it, but it would involve changing my grip. I seriously think they could take half an inch off that thing.

2. When I really clamp down with my grip, my weak hand fingers press the base of my strong hand middle finger right into this weird plastic ridge that "protects" the right side of the mag release button from your grip. Not sure how else to describe it, but it is pretty annoying. I have considered grinding the ridge off, or perhaps trading the whole thing for the paddle release model. This could also just be the way my hands are shaped, because I have never read any other complaints about it.

Hope that helps. I am far from an accomplished shooter, so I'm not sure my opinion should sway you either way, I just happen to have both of those guns.

That does help, I wasn't able to shoot the ppq today but hopefully I csn next week. I held the p09 and ppq side by side and the ppq just seems like an extension of myself while the p09 seems like an awesome tool in my hand. If I didn't shoot the p09 so well hands down I'd get the ppq. Why do these decisions have to be so hard? Looks like the p09 might end up on gun broker though.

I have both also and echo the main statements about the P09 recoiling less than the PPQ M2. But like koteris said, it does seem to come right back to target. I shoot the PPQ a bit more accurately at 25 yards probably do to the longer sight radius. For me, I don't have issues with the slide release lever and the grip fits better in my hands better than anything except for maybe the VP9 and Xcal i have. The only mods I have on the PPQ are a BT Stainless steel guide rod and Dawson sights, my P09 is Cajunized. Trigger pull on the PPQ is a little bit above 4 now.

Found someone local willing to trade his ppq m1 with 2 15 round mags for the cz cajun gun works parts and three mags. I'd keep 1 mag and the holster to sell...decent deal? I initially offered gun 4 gun with the 2 mags they both come with.

Also besides the paddle mag release any reason not to do the m1 vs m2?

I'm not 100% sold, but I don't like glocks, don't shoot the m&p well. I used to have an xdsc and shot that great but like the way the walther feels better. Also tempted by the hk vp9 seems very similar to the ppq

I owned a PPQ 5" and vp9 at the same time. I still own the vp9. The PPQ is the better game gun, but I would rather have a glock, CZ, Tanfo, or Grand Power over a PPQ as a game gun. I kept the vp9 as I felt it was the better carry pistol.

• 4 weeks later...

Sold the p09 aND got a good deal on a ppq m1. I couldn't be happier love the gun. Only issue is now I want the 5" and the new 45, as well as the 22...but all of those use the button release whwre the m1 I have is the paddle. I've really started to like the paddle release and have 2 15 round mags and 2 17 round mags. I'd have to get different mags for the m2...decisions decisions....keep the m1 and get the m2, get another m1 and an m2 and put the 5" slide on the m1, or sell m1 and just get all m2...

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats. Amazing feeling gun with great trigger and excellent accuracy. I have the 5" and really like it. Only complaint is that the muzzle flips up a little more on recoil than my grand power. It does come back quickly and consistently though.

• 3 weeks later...

For those with large hands - a warning: PPQ is not comfortable. I can shoot it, but its grip is smallish with the medium back strap. The large one truly sucks, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.

No comparison to HK R30, which does it right. Medium and small hands should be fine.