Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Open/Unlimited Set Up For 3 Gun

Maximis228

Looking to either build out a new top-end for my current USPSA 9 major open gun or build out an entire new gun for 3 Gun (Open/Unlimited). Could be used for Steel challenge as well down the line.

Current open gun (5 Inch Bull Barrel with 3 Gill Akai Comp - 2 popple holes) is really big to be running around with during some stages. Dumping can be an issue depending on the stage/club. Looking for faster transitions.

What do you run? What have you seen?

Tribrid 5 Inch Barrel?

Tribrid 6 Inch Barrel?

Have a shorty top-end built?

I would just think about getting a new mount and a delta point or trijicon mini red dot. The optic is the only reason I can think of to second guess dropping the gun in a dump bucket. The rest of the gun should make a pretty great setup for 3 gun.

To start, change out the recoil spring to run minor loads.

My USPSA open gun can only drop down so far due to a heavy comp. So later, a dedicated upper may be in order.

In my case, the only problem potential problem due to size would be the slide racker. A local club uses something like an angled shelf instead of a bucket. The combination of the slide racker and frame mounted red dot cause me to slow down abandoning the pistol.

Lone Star Innovations offers a thumb safety for the 2011 that requires you keep it down with your thumb while shooting. Take your hand off the gun and the thumb safety engages. Kinda offsets the Glock advantage when you need to drop your pistol on the clock.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Really Max? You already make everyone look bad with a pistol, now you want to make us look worse?

You know how it is. I'm more concerned about cutting weight. I like my race holster a lot, but it doesn't like 50-100 yards of running with that big thing on there. If I go with a tribrid barrel, I could run a bladetech holster then.