Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock .40 Brass... Die Fix?

Lumpy

Anyone have any good suggestions on how to go about fixing Glock fired .40 brass for reloading. I'm talking about the bulge at the bottom of the case. I know you can grind your die down a bit, but have heard of problems with the Dillon Die insert popping out. A case sizer is just too expensive.

Any ideas or non-traditional thoughts on what I can do?

Go for a Lee sizing die, and then use the Lee Factory Crimp die. The combo results in brass which will pass a cartridge gauge (sp?) every time. BTW, my EGW .40 cartridge gauge is a bit smaller than the one from Midway. And both are smaller than any .40 Glock.  :)

Debbie

Perfect, I just ordered one this afternoon. Talked to some good fella down there. He's going to ship it USPS so I should get it in about 2 months up here in Canada, Eh!

I have buckets of brass but my failure to chamber check rate was about 20%. I load jacketed bullets only and that was getting a little too expensive. I normally just shot them off in my G23.

a lot also depends on your chamber. In one of my guns (both have Schueman match barrels) bulging brass is no problem (within limits...), the other rejects the slightest off-tolerance in the cartridge. Your failure rate will go *way* down with the Lee die. It was probably the most relevant purchase I've made in the past year, and it's only $ 20.- or so.

--D.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's what I do about 40 brass.

1. I size the brass. I'm using Dillion dies.

2. Then, before priming and loading, I put the brass in a sammi gauge. If it doesn't fit I toss it in the trash.

3. Then I take the good brass, prime it and load it. I have a Lee Factory crimp on the last stage.

Pdg45acp,

You must be retired and rich. :-)

That seems like way too much work to me. I've now got the die up and running. Haven't loaded a huge batch yet (I need to chrono) but it should save me a lot of heartache...

Jon,

I reload mostly from a Glock 21.  The resizing doesn't seem to be a problem on my Dillon Square Deal B with the factory supplied dies.  I case gage my ammo for match use.  About 4-5% of my loaded rounds fail the case gage test ---- I want the round slipping completely into the gage and then falling back out from Gravity alone.  If I've got to help it, I toss it in a bin as practice or fun ammo.  All of the rejected ammo will feed in both my Glock and my Colt 1911 about 98% of the time.  I just don't want to run into a defective round during a match; I hate running clearance drills.....

• 1 month later...

Help me out here, maybe I'm a little slow... I have had a Lee sizing die for some time now and agree that it does work very well. But I don't understand what the Lee "CRIMP" die does for me that my Dillon won't. I noticed a couple of you mentioned it..... school me.

I think we may be getting a little loose in the names and definitions of these dies.

A Lee FACTORY crimp die is different from other crimp dies, even from Lee.

Maybe someone with more experience can help out here.  It probably shouldn't be me.