Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building position boxes for practice

LeviSS

I've been shooting IDPA this year and next year want to start shooting USPSA. I was going to build some position boxes to practice shooting while entering and exiting positions.

What dimensions are they usually? I was thinking 3'x3', but not sure about the height. It looks like most are about 1" - 1 1/2" from what I can guess.

Any advice?

Edited by LeviSS

I'm assuming you haven't shot a USPSA match yet? Position boxes aren't used that much in USPSA except for starting position and not that much for that. (at least in the matches I go to). Normally there is a shooting area and you shoot the targets as they become visible so shooting on the move (another non IDPA idea) is the faster way.

I have not shot USPSA yet. I've just watched videos. It looks like a lot of places use wood for fault lines too, so I'd like to do some of that too just to get used to getting my foot up on it, positioning, etc. Plus, there are a few drills in stoegers book using them.

Edited by LeviSS

I have not shot USPSA yet. I've just watched videos. It looks like a lot of places use wood for fault lines too, so I'd like to do some of that too just to get used to getting my foot up on it, positioning, etc.

Most ranges I shoot use 2x4's with the 4" side parallel to the ground. They have holes drilled in them so they can be spiked to the ground. Most outdoor position boxes that I see are welded angle iron or square tubing.

Edited by Bkreutz

yikes! 2x4s? I wouldn't want to be on those match setup crews ... :). around here we all use 1x1s painted red with holes in them to nail into the ground .... easy to carry around, low profile & last forever ... for training I just use 1/2" pvc ...

Edited by Nimitz

3/4" (which is how thick a 1x1 is) is minimum thickness for a hard surface. A 2 x 4 (1.5 x 3.5) is good for any surface.

2.2.1.1 Shooting Boxes and Fault Lines should be constructed of wooden boards or other suitable material, must be fixed firmly in place, and provide both physical and visual references to competitors. For hard ground surfaces clear of debris, 0.75 inch material is the minimum allowable size. On other range surfaces, such as covered with turf, sand, gravel, wood chips or similar, thicker material which rises at least 1.5 inches above the surface is recommended.

(From the 2014 USPSA rule book)

I have not shot USPSA yet. I've just watched videos. It looks like a lot of places use wood for fault lines too, so I'd like to do some of that too just to get used to getting my foot up on it, positioning, etc. Plus, there are a few drills in stoegers book using them.

Just remember that no part of your foot can touch the ground outside the fault line while shooting. If you do, it's a procedural. If you gained a significant advantage doing it, it's a procedural per shot.