Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up my 550

I'm working on setting up my new 550. I will be placing it on the right side of my bench. How much space should I leave to the left of the press? I have the strong mount and all accessories with the exception of the case feeder.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Enough so that your left arm is not bumping anything when placing the bullet on the case and indexing the shell plate.

Sorry I ment on the right side! Sgould I put it all together before bolting down the strong mount?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Should I put it all together before bolting down the strong mount?

I would. That way you can move it around on your bench to find a spot where you are most comfortable without hitting or rubbing either arm on anything when operating it.

I'd say at least 18" of space on either side of it.

I would leave a little space to place items that you may grab with your right hand.

I put my calipers on the right side so I can check case length every so often.

You may also put your wrenches to adjust and tighten on the right.

Randy

On your bench spacing question, I placed the right foot of the strong mount a little more than a foot from the right edge of a 4-foot-wide bench. There are about two feet remaining on the left.

I had very minor, totally fixable issues with setting up the 550.

A spent primer got trapped behind the little pin in the spent primer chute, keeping the chute open, so I had to free it before it would open and shut normally again.

The ramp for finished rounds was bumping against the shell plate platform when lifting the operating handle just before seating primers. The press was operational but there was an annoying clank. I ground a bit of metal off of the curved part of the ramp that meets up with the platform, until there was enough clearance to not touch the platform. All smooth now.

Every so often a primer does not feed but I can live with that. I think occasional gentle wiggling of the primer follower would keep the primers feeding.

The rounds come out very consistent and I had two excellent range sessions testing them. Cranking out rounds on the press is plenty fast for me. I easily did 750 in my first week, and this is a rate that is beyond what I need for matches and practice. The most I'll need in any given week will be about 400, unless my job gets easier and I can practice more live fire.

I would leave a little space to place items that you may grab with your right hand.

I put my calipers on the right side so I can check case length every so often.

You may also put your wrenches to adjust and tighten on the right.

Randy

Yeah, I find it handy to keep the calibers and case gage on the right, the scale on the left.

The tool holder is nice. It came with the package I ordered. I was kind of "meh" on installing it, but when I did, I thought it was very nifty.