Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SuperNova- action/ forearm

ffgats

I shot my SN today with the full mag capacity to test my extended mag function, works alright Although a New Concern or a Probelm I just noticed. Not sure if its a operator induced problem or its normal for the SN.

Ocassionally right after I pull the trigger and tried to cycle /pull the action, the action/forearm jam, it wont travel rearward , sometimes I have to push just a bit the forearm foreward and then pull the action back again.. Bbut the thing though it doesnt happen all the time, so not sure if its me or the SN.Thanks

Dan, the thing is even I'm doing some dry fires, with or without dummy's, it's still the same. If I will just let the forearm rest to the furthest of its cycle, than its fine, I can even feel the trigger release the action. It's only when the forearm in the most forward and then try just a little bit of pulling that it will lock the action.

Okay, I understand fully now. When I got my Super Nova, I pulled it apart and stoned the surfaces that I figured needed it, in other words the roughness from stamping out the action bars and things like that. No polishing per say, but smoothing out the tooling marks.

I've worked in machine shops for 40+ years, including shops that supported sheet metal production,

so I look at things a bit differently than a lot of people.

It is possible to put enough rearward pressure on the action to bind it up and then you have to pull forward to release the pressure for unlocking. I have done it dry firing several times, but never had it happen to me when shooting live ammo. Recoil naturally helps you unlock the action when shooting, old Winchester 1897s and model 12s work like that also.

Like Dan, I have deburred and stoned the action bars in my Nova so it is smooth cycling, but I can still bind it up if I try.

Hurley

It is possible to put enough rearward pressure on the action to bind it up and then you have to pull forward to release the pressure for unlocking. I have done it dry firing several times, but never had it happen to me when shooting live ammo. Recoil naturally helps you unlock the action when shooting, old Winchester 1897s and model 12s work like that also.

Like Dan, I have deburred and stoned the action bars in my Nova so it is smooth cycling, but I can still bind it up if I try.

Hurley

That's what I did when I had the ( action) forearm "lock", meaning I pulled the forearm a little bit before the trigger release the action, I have to push the forearm to release the action, Is this normal? or something can be done with this, if this is one of the feature that a SN works, can it be modified or fix?. I would prefer to have a forearm when fully in the forward position to be fully lock and cant be pulled rearward until the release by the trigger. Will Stoning or deburring will eliminate this problem. thanks

It is normal. It is how the gun is built. 870's and Mossbergs are just like it.

It is not a problem to be eliminated, but follow Dan's advice and stone and polish and you won't notice it as much.

Edited by P.E. Kelley