Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure to extract

rc51g

I have a 2005 mat mclearn 38sc open gun. It has a Schumann aet hybridcomp barrel. It has always run well. The other day it started jamming with spent cases left in the chamber. The brass has marks on it from extractor ripping past it. The brass is so tight in chamber that u have to pull it out with pliers or pry it out with screwdriver. At first I that maybe a dirty chamber so I cleaned it but it isn't any better. Cleaned Fired brass is very difficult to push back into chamber. Could the chamber b cracked? I don't see any marks on the brass like a line or anything. They do have a bulge but they always have. Also when this started happening I thot my rounds were too hot. Chonoed the rounds and they were almost minor due to my lack of knowledge of my powder being reverse temp sensitive. I usually run close to 175pf. Now the gun won't run long enough to get through a stage so matches are out. I don't want to send it off quite yet. I was just wondering if anyone had some insight on it or the possibility of a cracked chamber. Thanks

Edited by rc51g

Have you changed any of your re-loading components, bullets, powder, brass recently

And have you tried dropping a loaded round into the chamber to check if it passes the plunk test, if it doesn't check your re-sizing die

you cleaned the chamber, did you also clean the barrel

From your description it sounds like maybe high pressure is causing the cases to stick in the chamber

I've never seen a cracked chamber, but to check for a deformed one, clean the barrel well, then hold the barrel at a slight angle, while turning the barrel slowly, look at the chamber walls for a dark spot.

Have you changed any of your re-loading components, bullets, powder, brass recently

have you dropped a loaded into the chamber (the plunk test),

+1. Your brass should NOT be stuck in the chamber.

My guess is something creating lots of pressure with your reloads (OAL, powder, etc).

I'm not sure how a PF 175 could go "nearly minor" due to reverse temp sensitivity - that

sounds a bit extreme, to me.

I'd check you powder charge, OAL and start chrono'ing (that a word?) your loads after

you run the Plunk Test. :cheers: