Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Draw Vs. The Reload

dirtypool40

Been keeping track of my numbers. You know, when there's a start position that's not something goofy to a full at 10y, I check the draw, and when there's a stand and shoot with a reload to a full target at roughly ten yards I check to see how fast I loaded under match conditions.

I've hit a few .80's and a bunch of .90's on the draw in matches, but nothing under about a 1.15 for the load. It seems that, for me at least, it's easier / more common to smoke a draw in competition that to really zip a load.

My averages for each are about the same, at ten yards roughly .95-1.10. My hypothesis right now is that the draw is easier to hit in a match because you can focus on it so intently, while the load is something you do in the middle of a stage and have much more going on, and you usually hit a load between targets, meaning you have to "find" the next target after the laod.

Anybody else notice this? Any thoughts?

me 4

I tend to do reloads better in a match, because they just happen, I don't have to start them on a sound, I start them on a visual cue of the sight lifting off the target.

I don't see how they are any more complicated than a draw. They are pretty simple.

I know cranking out a fast draw isn't what I want to do in a match, so I'm generally pretty deliberate to keep it solid (1 +/- .1) The fraction of a second "ripping " a draw isn't worth trashing a stage by starting out with poor focus for me.

Spook

We all do not have the talent to be the Eruopean revo champ, like you...I have to shoot a bottom feeder to stay up with you hot rock revo shooters....at my age all the help I can get is good...

:P

I've always hit draws easier - don't have current times. Fastest I've drawn to a 7 yard A-zone is .75-ish. Fastest I ever reloaded the fat gun was .95-ish.

Interestingly, video evidence (and personal recollection) showed that I tend to reload much more smoothly and quickly when I *don't* immediately have to engage another target - that is, I'm leaving a position and moving to another, or something. I believe I tend to consciously reload the gun in a speed shoot, and tend to subconsciously reload otherwise - hence, I do better in the field courses, etc....

Maybe I should add onto my responce that I am thinking about my reload with my single stack L-10 gun. Problem there seems to be that when I miss the reload with the single stack I REALLY MISS THE RELOAD. With the wide body I would say the reload and the draw are closer, but the reload is still a little harder for me. Draws are usually around 1.0 to 1.2 depending on the shot. Reloads are 1.3 to 1.6.

Spook

We all do not have the talent to be the Eruopean revo champ, like you...I have to shoot a bottom feeder to stay up with you hot rock revo shooters....at my age all the help I can get is good...

:P

Suuuure....with a 3.35 sec Semi-Prez at 10y, I'm really starting to see the effect age has on your shooting ;)