Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with power load in my .44 Magnum

jayjay1

Hello guys,

bought me an used S&W 629 PC with a 6" barrel (looks like a competitor, but w/o the rail), and am new to load this caliber.

I´m having coated 245grs. Elmer-Keith-style bullets on hands (Lyman mold #429241), OAL 1,614".

To pass the chrono test in matches over here, I have to do a 250 PF+, what seems very sporty to me.

That means I have to make over 1.020 fps.

My powders are VV N320, N340, N350 and 3N37.

Which powder would you chose to reach that velocity?

How far can I go with the charge?

Any experiences welcome!

Jay

:)

Edited by jayjay1

I don't know how n350 or 3n37 will work with reduced loads but n320 will work well. It will give the least muzzle blast and make the PF easily @ 7-8.5 grains. Vihtavori lists 9.6 as max with a jacketed bullet and my best guess is that 7.6-7.7 is where you will end up.

As always this is for referance and you should consult the online manual to determine what is safe for you.

I don't use the 44 much any more. It's 38 short colt or 500 S&W these days.

Quick load shows pressure under 33,000 psi and velocity around 1130 @ 8.5 grains. 7.6 gets you around 1060 and 26,000 psi. Your barrel may be faster or slower but this gets you in the neighborhood.

Unless you just want recoil and muzzle blast then the n320 is your go to powder for that power factor. It is not a magnum load by any stretch but the most efficient for your game. The other powders can work however they will have more pressure upon bullet exit (recoil) and I do not know how they react when loading at 60% or less case capacity.

I have had great success with H4227. My load is 18.0 grains with a 300 gr. Hornady XTP bullet. Out of an 8-3/8" (213 mm) factory barrel I'm getting 1050 fps. This load will shoot 6" (152 mm) groups at 217 yards (200 meters). The recoil is about like a 44 Special. For a 240 grain bullet you would go just a little more powder. At this velocity with a factory twist rate I have gotten good groups out to 150 meters, but they fall apart at 200.

Quick load shows pressure under 33,000 psi and velocity around 1130 @ 8.5 grains. 7.6 gets you around 1060 and 26,000 psi. Your barrel may be faster or slower but this gets you in the neighborhood.

Hello BHill,

I will give the N320 a shot and see, what it will do.

Recoil and muzzle blast is not my aim. :lol:

On the other hand, QL seems not to be build for revolvers.

My velocities where waaaayyyy slower than QL said.

I´ll try it anyways.

:cheers:

@all:

Thanks for your support.

I surely know Elmer Keith, as I do know Dirty Harry, both of them did a lot for the Magnum revolvers on their own way, I suppose.

But the 2400 is a rare powder over here and hard to become, as it is the same thingy with the H4227, so I have to use what I have on hands.

Best regards,

Jay

:cheers:

• 3 months later...

For 44 mag... H110, W296, and 2400 are the powders I have had the best results with. Not sure if you can get those but figured I would throw it out there for you.

EDIT: Oh Unique will make a good 44 mag load as well.

Edited by jsg